Trouble with candles losing scent after 1st burn

I thought that there was a thread on this somewhere but I just couldn't find it ... Could someone tell me why a candle would loose scent after burning it??? The first burn is usually awsome .... second burn is much lighter in throw. It's not candle nose .... my testers are reporting the same thing. I have been trying out 6006 wax .. I tried heating to 180 adding fo (8%) at 175 pouring at 160 .. then I tried heating to 195 adding FO (a little over 8%) at 180 pouring at 170 and still have the same problem. I'm using 16 oz apoth. jars ... wicks... have tried just about every wick I could think of but of them all CD's and RRD's seem to be working the best. Double wicking with CD 10's or RRD 50's. FO's are Peak, Candle Science, NG. I've made several batches using different FO's and every last one of them lose there scent after the first burn! One batch I put a teaspoon of Crisco in (per pound) just to see if it helped ... it didn't. I haven't put any other additives in it.

Does anyone have any ideas????? It probably is something that I'm doing ... just don't know what! Help please!

Sometimes FO quality can cause you not to have a great scent throw... are you using a reputable supplier? Stirring very well before pouring? How much FO are you adding per pound of wax? Is 6006 a paraffin wax or soy?? I'm sorry I'm not familiar with it.

~Kristen~

How wide is your apothocary jar? Those are really big wicks for double wicking in 6006. I do 11 oz tureens (about 4" dia) & use the equivalent of 2 CD7s. I would guess you are burning off your scent too quickly. I find that if I use too large of a wick for double wicking, the wax smells burned after a few hours. Maybe you have chosen weak oils. Carole

Thanks for the replys,

I'm using quality FO's from different suppliers, stirring aprox. 2 min as far a the wicks go .... hmm .. I don't even get a full melt pool at the 3 hr. mark. This is my first time using this particular wax but I'm thinking that maybe the supplier got the waxes mixed up or something because from what I'm reading, it's been stated that this is supposed to be a soft wax but let me tell you that what I'm using, once it is poured and cooled, it's one of the harder waxes that I have ever used. I'm emailing the supplier to make sure. Nothing against the supplier cause in my opinion they are wonderful but mistakes do happen.

Kaytee, it has to be the wrong wax. 6006 is soft and does not get hard when poured.

Country Creek, I add my FO at 185-190. You have to or it will not mix. At 125 degrees, 6006 is no longer a liquid. You need to talk to your supplier again. Remember 6006 is about 75-80% paraffin. Carole

Kaytee, it has to be the wrong wax. 6006 is soft and does not get hard when poured.

Just curious, but when you say the 6006 is "soft", do you mean soft like the 4627, or just something that is softer than having to use a hammer and chisel to break it apart? (I'm not trying to be a smart a$$ - I've had wax that I had to use a hammer on! lol)

I've seen the 6006 KayTee is talking about (She's my Mom :D ), and while it's in slab form, you can slightly squish the edges of the slab, but after it's poured into a jar, you can barely put a mark on it with your finger, and it actually rattles in the jar when you move the candle.

Thanks for the help! :D

Kellie

6006 is not as soft as 4627, it comes in slabs and can be cut almost like butter. I would call it slightly squishy. But it will NOT rattle in jar once poured. I can't touch the top of a candle without leaving a fingerprint. Something has to be wrong with the wax. 6006 adheres to the sides of jar. Carole