Lets talk about Sea Salts

ebarnes

I ordered 17 lbs last week, when I opened it it looked like Morton's Table Salt to me. When they said fine grain I thought it was a little bigger than table salt. I tasted it also, I guess all salt taste the same. Does this sell for you?

I think it's label appeal. I buy mine in the bulk foods section at the grocery store. It's $.59/lb with no shipping. Yeah!

yeah and I just paid $1.60 a pound plus shipping, and Im only two states away. I swear this is Morton's table salt. Is there a difference?

I did this with solar salts. In the same state and I dont remember the total price but it was 50 pds and something like $75 with shipping. Then when I received it and seen the bag I felt so stupid. You can buy it all walmart, grocery stores, gas stations for around $5 a bag. Boy did I feel dumb.

Now I'm feeling really stupid. I thought you weren't supposed to use iodized salt for bath salts...lol...ok, I even feel more stupid for posting that! I read on the board somewhere (I don't have time to search right now) that you can use either water softner pellets or rock salt? Just mash them with a hammer.....I don't have time to search right now but I know I saw that here. Also, how would you list something like that on the label?

There are fine and coarse sea salts. They are not supposed to be iodized, but sea salt is increasingly available from local stores. I buy mine from the health food store: they order me a large (50 lbs?) bag and give me a discount. I pay about .60/lb.

I wouldn't be able to tell by sight if it's sea salt or table salt, unless it's the coarse stuff.

There are fine and coarse sea salts. They are not supposed to be iodized, but sea salt is increasingly available from local stores. I buy mine from the health food store: they order me a large (50 lbs?) bag and give me a discount. I pay about .60/lb.

I wouldn't be able to tell by sight if it's sea salt or table salt, unless it's the coarse stuff.

Well I stuck my tongue in mine, i guess all salts taste the same. I jsut thought sea salt was somewhat transparent.

I recently made my first batch of bath salts with the Morton solar salts, epsom salts, cyclo, dentritic (sp) and fo, and I love it. Do you really need to have dead sea salts or sea salts in it?

From my understanding Sea Salts have different properties

I have also read other sources of info relaying the same info that the link mbrown gave above. I will post links for resources as soon as I get a chance to look through my bookmarks.