Wicking help?

I'm still trying to get the hang of wicking. My candle looked like this after burning 3 hours 15 minutes.

meltpool.jpg

It looks like the wax is about ready to go over the side, and the book that I have says that if the wax is being melted faster than it can be absorbed by the wick, then the wick is too small... then says the same thing but that it means the wick is too large. My brain hurts.

I used paraffin with UV inhibitor and 3 tablespoons stearic, 3 inch diameter candle with square braid #1/0. The flame was about 1.5 inches high, if that helps.

I think it looks good too. I agree to keep the wick trimmed, but also hug the sides a little. It looks like the wax is going to hug itself from the picture, but I think if you helped it along a little bit, it would take over on it's own. In case you don't know what it means to "hug" the candle, it means to gently turn in the edges by cupping your hands around the top of the candle while the wax is warm and pliable and gently turning in the edges. This will cause the candle to consume the most wax, which means less wax waste. I think you're on the right track...good job.

Guest inkbeet

I also use a similar formula. I use a 2/0 which is one size smaller than what you're using now. Otherwise I think that looks fine for a 3 hour burn.