MSDS Sheets

Can anyone tell me what are the required MSDS (Material Safety Data Sheets) or a list of the OSHA requirements sheets for a candle shop? And, where is the best place to find them? Also, is it required that you have a policy and procedure for each type of candle that you make, how to measure out scents, etc? These may sound like stupid questions. Any help will be appreciated.:o

Can anyone tell me what are the required MSDS (Material Safety Data Sheets) or a list of the OSHA requirements sheets for a candle shop? And, where is the best place to find them? Also, is it required that you have a policy and procedure for each type of candle that you make, how to measure out scents, etc? These may sound like stupid questions. Any help will be appreciated.:o

In Nursing: The Floor is not just something you stand on, it is the world in which we work in. author unknown.

All that I have had to have was a MSDS sheet for your waxes, and chemicals that you use to clean or extra. And if you can find the MSDS sheets on any of your oils that is good to have on hand as well.

Think of your worse case senerio: someone comes into your shop and accidentally gets cinnamon oil in their eyes or accidentally catches your wax on fire. How will you clean them up or put out the fire?

that is what a MSDS sheet tells you.

Let me know if this helps. I know I found some of my sheets at the wax manufacturing site.

As for your procedure, I only needed to give that information to my insurance provider in order to get liability insurance. LOL we are obviously considered HIGH risk...who would have thought LOL

But if you do have that on paper guard it with your life so no one finds out what you do!! That way no one will find out your secrets! :D

All oils have an MSDS sheet. You need to ask for them from your supplier. Usually if you order from a manufacturer, they are attached to the container or in the box. For manufacturing, you are supposed to have them for all of your oils.

Copied from gov. website:

Distributors shall ensure that material safety data sheets, and updated information, are provided to other distributors and employers with their initial shipment and with the first shipment after a material safety data sheet is updated;

1910.1200(g)(7)(ii) The distributor shall either provide material safety data sheets with the shipped containers, or send them to the other distributor or employer prior to or at the time of the shipment;

Thanks for the information. I never received any MSDS sheets from the companies that I ordered my scents and dyes from. I will contact them on Monday. My friend told me that I needed to have one for liquid paper; when she said that, I began to wonder just how "nit picky" it should be. My shop is out of my house at the present time. I have my self and 2 other partners.

I had a friend tell me that I needed to have a policy and procedure for how to melt, dispose and store wax; how to make the candles, a chain of command, and on distribution. I am familiar with the OSHA aspects from a medical stand point which some parallels candles : Nothing up against a wall. Nothing stored on the floors, nothing under the sink except for cleaning agents, stacking stuff must be at least 14" from the ceiling, all bottles that are opened must have a date, time and initial on them, no food or drinks in a work area (well we try when we think about that), first aide kit and a fire extinguisher must be available.

We have developed all of our own forms as far as work logs, expense, product distribution, productivity, product inventory, etc.. design our own labels and logo and working on a brochure (doing our own marketing to help cut cost). I have found excellent places for equipment with extremely reasonable prices (Harbor Freight--- the "Male Wal-Mart" and the Dollar Tree). Does any one have any suggestions? Any words of advise when you started out? Did you draw up any special contracts other than a general partnership with specifics spelled out? ANY help is appreciated.:smiley2: