I feel like I'm cheating....

I have been making soy candles for about a year now, and I am really looking at getting more into some bath & body items. I have been using KY's Soy whip and a lotion base from craftlobby since November and I really like both. But, I feel like I am cheating since I am not actually making these myself. How many of you use premixed bases and how many make your own from scratch? If you do both, what do you make and which items do you buy premixed. I'm really conflicted on this issue.

My real passion is to learn how to make soaps, but I don't have a workspace except for my kitchen, and I have two small children under foot all day, (which by the way I absolutely love that they are there, :D ) and I don't want to take any chances with lye right now. So I guess I'd better stick to the safer ingredients.

Any and all comments or suggestions are welcome I'm here to learn.

Thanks

Yup, I felt that way too. So I decided I would only make from scratch. Spent a lot of money on ingredients. Spent a lot of time on research. The stuff is just sitting there cause I can't get to it - no time... So I"m all for bases if they are the quality and all that I like.

there's nothing wrong with using bases if you find the quality is up to your standards. i use the lip balm base for BCN and wouldn't try and make it myself for anything i love this base and everyone else does to. i also use M&P soap so i don't have to mess with lye. i have a 1 year old in my house chemicals like that are not welcome wether she has acess to them or not. and we also use a sprayable lotion base. i just make sure i don't lead people to belive its handmade i market as hand crafted since i do add to them and change them a bit

I feel like I'm "cheating" a lot of the time, too, by using bases. However, I am only one person with a very small kitchen and can only do so much at a time. I'm slowly building a customer base and little by little adding b&b products done from "scratch." As I learn, develop, and complete testing, I will slowly replace some of these bases. In the meantime, in order to offer a variety of items--wax as well as b&b--I have to have a little "help."

Thank goodness there are some very good quality bases available!

There have actually been quite a few threads about this very subject, somewhere here on this board, just don't remember when. There are very many people who use bases & there were some very wonderful ways, that people worded the reasons why it is fine.

Thanks guys, I feel much better. I read all of these interesting posts where people are whipping up all of the wonderful handmade products and I think wow, I must be the only person in the world who doesn't do scratch. It's good to know I'm not.

Luci, I have actually thought about doing that too, but as of right now I spend most of my day changing diapers, fixing meals, getting my babies down out of the dining room chairs(their new favorite obsession) and separating fights. I can just see me trying to whip up a batch of lotion from scratch. Most days I barely have time to add scent and color.

It's good to know bases are ok. I think we need to form a support group for all of us base users who feel guilty. We could call it base users anonymous. :laugh2:

It's good to know bases are ok. I think we need to form a support group for all of us base users who feel guilty. We could call it base users anonymous. :laugh2:

Count me in! I use bases because #1 I don't have the time to invest in making my own. #2 I have limited space whereby I can make products in a sterile, clean area, that nobody else enters but me #3 I don't have to obsess over the preservatives & it gives me peace of mind to know that a large, reputable company, that sells tons of this stuff, is taking care of that formulating for me. #4 The big co's that are selling alot of bases to many happy customers can use so many more wonderful ingredients in their base, than I would be able to include & afford to buy, in a homemade product. #5 I can select a base from a company that I know does plenty of batch testing(even though I do my own, as well). #6 People really like the products that I "hand-craft" with the bases. (handcraft meaning: testing, testing FO's , then scenting &coloring & packaging & labeling).

So when is our first BUA meeting?

Yeah, when's the first meeting?? From my desk I can see....6, no 7 different bases!

I'm trying to find a happy medium between using bases and making from scratch. Right now I'm happy using bases for some things and then making (dare I say) simpler things from scratch, like cuticle balm and solid perfume. I'm working on a lipbalm that I can live with year round (gets super hot here in the summer).

I did make some lotion from scratch....Coffee Butter Latte Cream from MMS's site...and it was ALOT of ingredients and therefore alot of $$. One of my testers, however, has been sharing the lotion (she's a nail tech) and now I, apparently, have a line waiting to buy their own lotion! (Just found this out last night!) Personally....I'm a bit too skittish of the preservative issue right now. LOL.

Hugs,

Donna

There is totally nothing wrong with using bases. Just remember if you plan to sell them make sure it is good quality. Because you are selling yourself through your product. You want people to like it and come back for more. And be sure to educate yourself on the ingredients to back it up. Its not very cool selling a product and being clueless on the ingredients. Its like selling Arbonne and not knowing a lick about skincare.

Don't worry...if you go crazy...we're here for you!

My advise....where you can...GET SAMPLES. You can get samples from KY if you order something else. You can also get samples from Soaper's Workshop (LOVING Lindsay's stuff!) and Essentials by Catalina. Hmmmm....I think that was all the samples I got....I did get some from SFIC, but I wouldn't recommend those. Ew. :D

If I think of more to fuel your addiction, I'll let you know!

<ducking and running>

Donna

I think we need to meet as soon as possible. Now that I know bases are ok. I'm going to go crazy with the b&b. If I don't get some help soon, my hubby may kill me, and then what would become of my bases?:grin2:

here are a few places that carry good bases:

www.wholesalesuppliesplus.com

www.essentialsbycatalina.com

www.soapandthings.com

www.candlesupply.com

& the ones that the others suggested, as well! have fun!

I use the bases from Millcreek. They are made with soybean oil. Can i say wow!!!! I absolutely love their lotion. It is nice and soft and creamy and absorbs into your skin quickly without a greasy feeling.

Here's my 2 cents worth on using bases-i'm like most of you that have another job and just not enough time in the day to make things from scratch. I applaud all those who can make things from sratch, but for those of us who either don't have the time or $$, i believe using the bases allows us to offer more products to our "customers" whether they be for actual customers or just friends and family. I never promote that i made them from scratch, but customers don't really ask either.

Right now, my customers are appreciative of the fact that i can make lotions, shampoos, etc. in many different scents that even bath and body works can't. plus, i can make 1 at a time. That means less cost trying to get them sold. Plus, it makes it a little more personal for them-which gives me an edge.

I have rough skin on the bottom of my feet and using Millcreek's lotion daily (sometimes more) has really softened them up. Keep in mind i've been trying tons of different kinds of lotion trying to get rid of the rough heels.

i absolutely love their shampoo and conditioner and the hand/body liquid soap also. That's all i will be using from now on. makes my hair feel good and really lathers up. i "ran out" and used something else, by that evening my hair was oily looking. And i love

I don't have anything to compare it to, but i use their body/linen spray. I like that it's dual purpose. I haven't used it for linen spray yet, but as body spray it is really nice. no oily feel. keeps the scent for quite a while.

i mixed some of the lotion base with a buttercream frosting oil and yummm... my son who is 2 1/2 knew it was lotion and put a little on, then he must of thought it should taste good since it smelled so good, and licked his hand.. he found out the hard way... I also have the white chocolate macadamia nut cookie from daystar and mmmm...

hth,

Heather

With all of these great suggetions and suppliers, I may have to take out a small loan. LOL I may have to order the lotion from M/C that camoflauge mentioned. I have that problem with my heels too. I've tried too many different products to mention and nothing seems to help long term. It's better when I first apply, and then in a few hours right back to the same old sandpaper heels. With summer coming up, I have to get these babies in flip-flop shape. I hate shoes, and the less of them I have on my feet the better I like it. :cool2:

not to change the topic, but in addition to the millcreek, i use straight shea butter before bed or in the morning after a shower and that seems to help too. but i was using the millcreek long before the shea butter.

my heels were so rough they lost a lot of feeling, well, one day i used the pumice type stone to remove rough skin and it almost hurt.. I wondered what was wrong, so after my shower i looked at my feet and noticed that they weren't as dry as they used to be.

they do have a sample of their lotions and other bath and body. i did purchase the samples, and then almost immediately, i ordered a gallon of each and was not disappointed at all. i had ordered some bases elsewhere and was not impressed.

that's just my opinion.

Heather