Why get my wicks so big at the top

I testrun different wicks (CD 20, CD 22 and HTP 1312) in my jars and the meltpool is good in some but the top of the wick gets big and kind of breaks apart which results in a not so pretty flame. I trimmed the wicks back but the same thing starts all over again. BTW I'm using the Golden Wax 415. Any thoughts on this one? It doesn't seem to be an issue with smaller jars and their wicks! Thanks everyone!

I guess my jar is too big and I need to double wick. Its close to 4". I think I might add only FOs and no dye, I really like the natural color of the wax. Now is every FO different or are there certain groups of FOs that need other wick sizes. Thanks for your help, as you can see, I'm a Newbe!

Yes each oil is different and needs to be tested. What works for one oil might not work with the next. Some oils are heavier than others and need a larger wick than another FO might need. Some oils might be so light that you can actually wick down from what is your "normal" size wick. Also, an oil can change from supplier to supplier so that not every lavender, for example, will be the same lavender as the next supplier might carry. Therefore, your wicking can change.