First rustic!

peachrustic.jpg

Sorry, I couldn't get a decent photo for some reason. I managed to break it in half when trying to get it out of the mold, but the top half looks pretty good so I'm going to just pretend that the other half never even existed. ;) I scented it with Fresh Peach from NG, which BTW smells EXACTLY like a real peach in the bottle. I'm still playing with the wick so I can't say much about the hot throw yet.

So what is the secret for getting them out of the mold? I mean, I've been told to roll it in my hands, chill it a little, etc. but then what? Is it supposed to just slide out when you turn it upside down? I basically had to shake the heck out of my mold to get this half out, after I made the mistake of pulling on the other half.

Looks very nice!!! The secret is don't rush it. When it's ready to come out it should just slide right out with no problems. I use to have to do the same thing because I was trying to unmold it too fast getting impatient. So next time try letting it set in the mold longer. HTH Keep up the good work.

I just posted something about rustics on another thread......but number one....make sure your mold is very clean. I use pam and wipe it all out. Then be sure you wax is hot enough to stick to the previous layer....I use a heat gun for a few seconds. And......I noticed that the ones made in tin molds slipped out more easily than the one in aluminum......you don't have to wait more than overnight.....unless it is 120 degrees in your house (smile) Donita Louise

I was resisting using mold release, but if I have trouble with my next candle- which I will start on soon if I don't get called in to work- I'll give it a shot. Maybe my mold was just not clean enough.

I'll also try heat-gunning (would that be heat-shooting? lol) the layers a little this time. I thought about it for the last one but decided to try it without. I think it was just that one layer that didn't want to stick- the rest seem to be attached pretty well.

Oh well, I suppose candlemaking is all about experimentation, right? :rolleyes2

lol I forgot that I just made a really short candle... not half of one...

I poured another today- lychee from JS (I have a friend who is crazy about lychee) There was some kind of heavy oil in the FO that just kept settling to the bottom of the wax, so we'll have to see what happens with that. I poured my layers a little quicker (one too quick that mixed into the last, but the rest were good), and also heated up the top layer in the mold just a bit before adding the next. Cross your fingers for me!

Wow, it's getting late... I can't believe how long I spent heating and pouring, heating and pouring.