problem faced in CP

ashwini

I did CP, When it traced, added EO and color...and then it reached consistency of pudding. I made sure to stickblend for longer since citrus EOs curdles the soap mixture. When i felt, consistency is ok...i poured. After few minutes oil started seperating. I had to repour to pot, blend it again and repour. This happened in last 3 batches. Even when i used lavender EO, it happened.

When i use, vegetable shortening, it traces very fast, and i am not able to swirl. so i tried adding little more water than prescribed... Is it the cause for the above problem? Can someone pls help me...

I see in the tutorials, people pour in a pourable consistency. But I could never do it, coz trace is very fast... or i need to add more water...

Do i need to use more soft oils?

I would not be adding more water once it is traced. It sounds like it is not mixing in and causing your soap to do that.

A few other tips for you..

1) If you are using an EO that is a pain... do not stick blend the EO in. Hand stir it. The only time I stick blend a FO or EO in is when I know it will rice.

2) Try mixing in your colorant and EO at a light trace. It sounds like you are waiting until a medium trace and if the EO makes it move quickly you are in trouble.

3)What temp are you soaping at?

4) If your soap is moving too quickly, make sure that you are using full water and not doing a water discount.

I have used plenty of soybean (shortening) recipes and you are right, it does make it trace faster but you should be able to swirl or do whatever you want to do without it setting up on you.

HTH. I know how frustrating it can be at times. :) Keep your chin up!

Jennifer

I would be intered in knowing the temps of your lye water and oils as well. If you dont let them cool to room temp before mixing them together, trouble will happen.

I disagree with this (room temp where I live is 65 degrees and that's not a good temp to soap at unless you really know what you are doing and you know what to expect from your oils, some can not soap at that temp without issues so in that case, it doesn't matter if you are experienced or not). Cooling too low can cause a false trace and it sounds like this might be her problem.

Soap with the temps at 90-100 degrees, no lower than 90 and see if that helps. You can add your EO's to your oils before you even add the lye mixture.

I disagree with this (room temp where I live is 65 degrees and that's not a good temp to soap at unless you really know what you are doing and you know what to expect from your oils, some can not soap at that temp without issues so in that case, it doesn't matter if you are experienced or not). Cooling too low can cause a false trace and it sounds like this might be her problem.

Soap with the temps at 90-100 degrees, no lower than 90 and see if that helps. You can add your EO's to your oils before you even add the lye mixture.

I was more worried that she wasnt cooling her lye and oils at all, and soaping with temps that are too high.

It sounds like maybe false trace to me. When you mix, especially with an SB, it's important to stop the machine and stir a bit by hand (just use the SB to stir) then pause and make sure your oils are not separating out again.

Knowing the temps of your lye solution and your oils would be helpful. And if you pre-melted and mixed your oils first...

Yesterday I tried again. At light trace, poured little to another container and added color. Kept on stirring by hand, and waited for sometime. It wasnot a false trace...and i poured. It was perfect. Creamy creamy. I was so happy.

In last few batches, i had used more water than soap calculator prescribed, since i wanted it to trace little late. (some trial and error method.) I think that added to the problem. and lemongrass EO added to curdling.

Yesterday i used lavender and it worked without any problems.

Thankyou verymuch for all suggestions.

We will have to agree to disagree on this. I love soaping RT oils and lye and don't do it any other way anymore. I have never had a problem, but I am experienced.

We will have to agree to disagree on this. I love soaping RT oils and lye and don't do it any other way anymore. I have never had a problem, but I am experienced.

E, I believe we actually are agreeing here. Key word is experienced. And I'll add knowledge of your oils.

I didn't say it couldn't be done. At 65 degrees though, that's pretty low so you do have to know what you are doing or it can (and eventually will) go wrong.