making soap look nice?

idacandlelady

I have been making soap ( or at least trying to) for about 6 months now. Still yet to get it looking the way I think it should. Looking at all the soaps in the gallery I am very not happy with the way mine look. I don't sell it (yet) but I really want it to look nicer. How do you all make your bars look so smooth and shiny? I know to bevel the edges (which I haven't been successful at yet) but the tops and sides always look so dull. Just hoping to get some pointers from all the awesome soapmakers on here! TIA

I don't often polish mine, one of the things I do to get a nice look to my soap is pour it at lighter trace to get it smooth both on top and bottom. Also I usually let it sit in the mold at least 24 hrs, take it out of the mold and let it sit another 24 before I cut it. Beveling looks nice, if I bevel I do that a couple of days after I cut it. If I want to polish it, i spritz it with alchol or water and just wipe softly with a paper towel and let it dry.

I like to polish mine by spritzing with alcohol and then rubbing with a kitchen towel when they are good and hard (if I bevel I do that a bit sooner). It's a pain but it looks nice. But some I like rough. If they soaps need a lot of help sometimes I plane them as well but that wastes a lot of soap.