difference in soy and para

Ok you soy users i need some help from you. :confused: I use j50 right now i have tried joy wax, before i go buying and testing 100% soy i wanted to know the good things about soy. I know they say it burns cleaner. I was wondering about scent throw is it about the same as regular parrafin or different? I know it would depend on which soy i used but i would just like an idea of what you think. just compared to what you use. Yes i did do a search on here and found nothing on this. I am just unsure if i want to get into using soy but the customers keep mentioning it. thanks,

I think it ends up being about what you find work best for you. I do a soy/paraffin blend and I love it. Some people swear by their paraffin -- get an awesome scent throw and would never touch soy. Some people love theirr 100% soy because they get awesome scent throw and they would never touch paraffin.

There is considerable debate on whether soy burns "cleaner" -- I do tend to think that you can have paraffin burn just as clean. Soy has its quirks -- it's more difficult to get a nice, smooth top like with paraffin but some say the scent throw can be better with soy. You'll find many different opinions and no easy answer....

IMO results have more to do with the experience and skill of the chandler and less to do with the wax (within reason, of course). A skilled candle maker will find a way to make almost anything work -- or know that they have hit their limit and move on to a different wax/blend.

Sorry if that doesn't help....

I think it ends up being about what you find work best for you. I do a soy/paraffin blend and I love it. Some people swear by their paraffin -- get an awesome scent throw and would never touch soy. Some people love theirr 100% soy because they get awesome scent throw and they would never touch paraffin.

There is considerable debate on whether soy burns "cleaner" -- I do tend to think that you can have paraffin burn just as clean. Soy has its quirks -- it's more difficult to get a nice, smooth top like with paraffin but some say the scent throw can be better with soy. You'll find many different opinions and no easy answer....

IMO results have more to do with the experience and skill of the chandler and less to do with the wax (within reason, of course). A skilled candle maker will find a way to make almost anything work -- or know that they have hit their limit and move on to a different wax/blend.

Sorry if that doesn't help....

Thanks, i guess it is a stupid ? I thought maybe there would be someone that does both or has done both and could help. i do here how it is hard to get a smooth top on here. I am not really worried about the clean burning part. i am more concerned with the scent throw. I have been trying different suppliers for my fo's. I justed wondered if i should attempt the soy.

I am new to making candles since 11/06. I use ecosoy 100% CB. I just purchased ecosoy PB. I have NOT had any complaints only compliments! I use 1.5 oz of FO to 2 1/4 cups of melted wax.

My husband and I do this together as a hobby. The first month (only month this has happened) we sold 300.00 (just sales) on melties/tarts and containers under 6 oz. I am sure this was due to Christmas, but it was a nice start for us.

Pure soy is so pretty with the pastel colors.

I wondered about using another wax, but then why, when I have happy customers!

It is a matter of opinion.

Thanks, i guess it is a stupid ? I thought maybe there would be someone that does both or has done both and could help. i do here how it is hard to get a smooth top on here. I am not really worried about the clean burning part. i am more concerned with the scent throw. I have been trying different suppliers for my fo's. I justed wondered if i should attempt the soy.

I've worked with paraffin for years and only recently attempted soy. Soy wax is for advanced users, it's more difficult to work with than paraffin to get similar results...soy has frosting problems (especially with 100% soy), dyes come out lighter, not all FOs hold as well, wick sizes change, and of course, lower temperatures (a real problem where we are) and a different pour style all add up to an experience in and of itself. But using soy has distinct advantages, mainly in that you're supporting farmers rather than oil companies, and soy is a renewable resource, unlike oil. Also, with the right usage of additives, soy can be very effective and beautiful. It takes a lot of practice and note-taking though, as any other type of candlemaking does, and since you're basically taking on a whole new process, it's almost as if you're starting from scratch. But it's SO worth it to take the plunge into soy...you won't regret it after you've got the process down! :)

There is one benefit of soy over paraffin and that is the clean up is a little easier. Soap and water usually dissolves soy wax if dripped or to clean out containers and pouring pots. Paraffin tends to get a little sticky and builds up. So that is another consideration to think about.

I have always been an overachiever so I automatically go for the harder things to accomplish. It can be a pain to work with but I am trying to establish an ecologically safe household so I opt for the renewable resources.

I will say I do love some of the candles Donita Hoyer makes and it hasn't been done yet with soy.