two questions

citygrl707

i have been making gel candles for two years and have stayed at the 1/2 teapoon per pound of gel, at times this is enough fo others its to light. I know some pple has said they use up to .75 per pound. I am going to start selling the candles , not to just family and friends. I dont know if i need a buisness license or resale license or what. I have a company thats going to sell them in there retail shops they said i need a license. I m not sure what i need.

With the fo issues my candles always have smelled good i have been testing for along time. I am only using fo that i have tested . I dont know if i should go up a little on the fragrance oil now that im going to be selling them or what? I know its up to 5 percent for medium density gel i juest dont want to put to much , i want a safe candle.

Are you weighing the fo or just using a measuring spoon? I've always weighed mine out on a scale and am not sure what the amount is as far as tsp amount. Also, some fo's are just very light scents by their nature.

I use a scale to weigh my wax and fo so I don't know if you can up your scent load or not. If you haven't already maybe try to weigh several of your fo's to see if they are all weigh .5% and equal 1/2 tsp. I found that some fo's are lighter in weight and I use more than others that are heavier to equal .5%. Also, there are scents that will throw lighter than others even if you add more fo.

Most states require a business licence and resale licence. Here is a link that may help you http://www.sba.gov/localresources/index.html. Choose your state and see what else you would need. I beleive SBA is a free service and you can get the info you need from them. The other thing is there is more than licences involved in starting a business. Either contact the SBA or maybe post this question in the Business Side of Things thread with your location and maybe someone in your state can help you out. I highly recommend you purchase candle insurance especially if you are going to sell your candles wholesale. hth Chris

thats what i had been doing a measuring spoon and a measuring cup, i think now im going to buy a small scale and do it that way. It might be a little easier. When i first brought my kit two years ago its said one half teapoon per pound of gel I had stuck to it. Now i read its up to 5 percent of fo. Thank you very much