How to get new business...

andrealh1975

I'm really trying to get out there and get some new business (a girl needs DINERO!!!!). Anyway, everyone wants samples before they buy. Which isn't a problem, I've been giving them. BUT, they're not buying anything!!! :sad2: I've thought about contacting different companies/individuals that may give gifts as a thank you. For instance, I've heard that realtors sometimes do it. Also, I've been in contact with two authors who'd like to give them out at book signings. I don't know what else to do. Any suggestions...

I think that the orders that you get from samples are pretty slim. Think of it like a business card.... I give out 100+ at market on the weekends and the amount of orders that I get from new customers are pretty slim. I think that the same can be said about samples.

I give "gifts" at home parties when people spend over a certain dollar amount. I sometimes give a "gift" at market for those that are loyal customers that buy product.

Think of the gift with purchase that you get when the cosmetic companies run their specials... have you ever used something that was free in the bag and actually run out to buy it when you were out? I haven't.

JMO. I do not waste my time with samples unless I want to do something fun with no intention of making money from it.

I agree with Mountain. She is right. I don't run out when I am out of my free sample. I do the same thing. I give thank you gifts to my customers. I also give them samples of what I am working on. This is the best way to get feedback too. Homeshows are a good way to get sales to. I had one and just did it as an open house. It went really well. Good luck

Guest EMercier

Well, this is how I started getting myself out there. I still want to do better, but the money comes in. If you work, then you can let people there at work know that you make candles. I made a killing at my last job. After expenses, it was like $2-300 per pay period (every two weeks). Especially around Christmas. I also found local craft fairs and i got myself out there. I let it be known on campus that I do candles (got baby shower favor order out of that twice). I did a fundraiser for my mom's church (she lives in ATL). I came here to my new job (only been here for about 3 months) and talked about it. No orders yet, but I am still trying. All I need is the one order and I'm in! I did a presentation in my business presentation class and got a homoe party from that. I'm just saying all that to say that there are several ways to get it out there. I always look for an in when I'm talking to people. I like you website btw. Have a few friends host a home party. I like going to others house because I don't have to clean up after that. It goes from there. I'm trying to set up a few now. I could go on and on, but I mean if you want to know anything else, you are more than welcome to PM me.

P.s. I don't give out samples. I will start, but people are cheap and will go with that and I didn't see a need. Also, carry around a brochure or business card. I would carry a candle or two.

Thanks all...

EMercier - Glad you like the site. :)

I have a million business cards and brochures that I hand out to any and everybody!! I also have info posted in a few grocery stores, information boards at various friends/family members work places. I got 2 orders from people at my currect job which I've only been at for a little over 3 months, so that's helped. Also, I had a home party at the end of July that was successful. I'm thinking of doing another soon so people can start getting Christmas gifts.

I just wanted to find out what others were doing....Thanks again for the feedback!

:highfive: