Jelly beans

Angie W

Ok I was in the grocery store this afternoon and they had a gel candle with jelly beans in them. Now I can't say for sure but I'm pretty positive they were real jelly bean. I so bad wanted to dig one out and see but I restrained myself and did not. How do you dare put real jelly beans in a candle? The only way I could console myself was that the wick didn't look real big. So hopefully it is under wicked so it won't melt the sides which I forgot to mention the jelly beans were only around the sides not all the way through. Anyway thought it was interesting and would post about it. I semlled great just like jelly beans. One of the ones I looked at the wick was way off. Isn't it funny before I started making candles I would have thought it was the neatest thing ever and now I just critique them.

Several years back, there were alot of gel candle makers that swore up and down that putting jelly beans, peppermints, etc. in wicked gel candles was perfectly safe. Alot of people were doing it. Since all I make is gel candles, I decided to test it out. I made three candles in LP, MP, HP - all Penreco gel - using a candle with jelly beans all the way around the container, up the entire side; and a candle with peppermints around the lower portion of the container. So 6 of each(sometimes I'm not too clear).

I burned one of each density right away. No problems. A second candle of each density was burned after 5 months. When it got halfway down, there was a prrrffff sound, kinda like some matches that you strike and they take a second to light up, and the whole surface of the candle caught on fire!:wink2: After 9 months I decided to light up the last two, and after the candle meltpool was about 1/8" deep, the whole surface lit up! I could only conclude that over time, sugar or something was absorbed into the gel. I have never made a candle with real food of any kind since unless it was double glassed. If I had gone with the initial burn results on the first candle, I would have thought it was a safe candle.

i was at a craft show where a woman was selling tall glass containers of gel candles with peppermint candies in them. the container was maybe 3" across and about 10" tall. she was telling people to just pick out the candles as the candle was burning......*faint*

i use a mold from jello jigglers ( made a few years ago) that i can make wax jelly beans with.

there are some real arseholes out there.........

cheryl

Ay-yi-yi.

Ok, having made gel candles for quite a while, I can tell you that I never, ever, put real candy in my candles. Wax jelly beans and wax candies of all sorts are readily available.

If someone is using real candy, well that's just a misunderstanding of the craft. It's dangerous, and will eventually ruin the burn of the candle...this is not - I assure you - rocket science. Safety and caution....along with a healthy dose of common sense should always be at the forefront of any craft venture.

I make REAL candy gel candles all the time but I only double glass them. I put real stale hard candies around the outside with gel and a glass votive holder in the middle.

Here is a picture of one (this is not mine)

And that's the way it should be done. Not putting a wick in with the jelly beans.