Virgin soaper CP ?

Mnhorsemom

Ok, well tonights the night. I'm gonna do it! One question I have is...I did the lye calc on mms, do I have to add the FO into that also? How much FO should I use for a recipe that has 70 oz of oils? (I think I am going to try Peak's Cuke melon) and I add the FO at a light trace right :confused: TIA

Ok, well tonights the night. I'm gonna do it! One question I have is...I did the lye calc on mms, do I have to add the FO into that also? How much FO should I use for a recipe that has 70 oz of oils? (I think I am going to try Peak's Cuke melon) and I add the FO at a light trace right :confused: TIA

You are a brave woman. I too only made about a 2 lb. batch when I first started.... and using FO's?! I hope that it goes well for you. The FO that I purchase only require .2 oz. per #1. You do not factor in your FO as part of your oils in your batch. Good luck.

:shocked2: Maybe I am in over my head! This is a recipe I got from the Millers soap website. I want to use one of the rubbermade drawer organizers for my mold, (it's 15x6x2) so anyone got a more manageable recipe for my first time?

Most FO's are pretty safe to use the first time at .7 ounce per pound of oils. 70 oz is 4.375 lbs. .7 X 4.375 = 3.06 ounces. I'd round it to an even 3 ounces of FO.

Some FO's you'll need to go up to 1 ounces per pound of oils, some you can use as low as .5 ounce per pound of oils.

Also, you can take the recipe that you have and resize it to a smaller recipe.

If you post the recipe, I am sure someone here will be more than happy to help you resize it.

That is a big batch to do for your first batch, and IMO, until you have the process down, I wouldn't do more than a two pound batch.

Not that it hasn't been done before yet.

Good luck with whatever you choose.

I agree with the others on making a smaller batch for your first time. A one or two pound batch of soap is a good amount to start out with. If you like this recipe, just do as Rebecca mentions and cut it down.

We don't want to discourage you but don't want you to get overwhelmed. With a smaller batch it will be more manageable and fun for you.

As for fo I used 1/2 to 1 oz per pound depending on the fo I am using.

Thanks everyone!! Here is the recipe I have

24oz canola oil

6 oz castor oil

6 oz cocoa butter

18oz cocoanut oil

16oz olive oil

9.73 oz lye

24 oz water

I reallllly want to try making soap but I know if I mess it up I will probably never try it again. You guys are great, thanks again for the help and suggestions.

First step in downsizing a recipe is to figure out what percent of oils each oil is.

To do that, total all of your oils together (already done, 70 ounces of oil).

Canola 24 oz - (24 / 70) * 100 = 34% (rounded)

Castor 6 oz - 8.5%

CB 6 oz - 8.5%

Coconut - 18 oz - 26%

Olive Oil - 16 oz - 23%

Once you are done, add your percents together to make sure they total up to 100% (otherwise, you have an error in your math or the rounding didn't work quite right).

Second step is to figure out the size you want your batch to be. Let's go with 2 pounds.

Third step is to recalculate the number of ounces needed.

Your recipe looks like this now.

Canola - 26%

Castor - 8.5%

CB - 8.5%

Coconut - 26%

Olive Oil - 23%

Total - 100%

To figure out the new number of ounces:

Canola - 32 (oz) * .26 (26%) = 10.88 oz

Castor - 32 * .085 = 2.72

CB - 32* .085 = 2.72

Coconut - 32 * .26 = 8.32

Olive Oil - 32 * .23 = 7.36

Add the number of ounces (in bold) together to make sure they total 32 ounces.

Forth step - Now you have the "resized" number of ounces for each oil. You can take them and enter them into a lye calculator and get your amount of lye and water for this size batch.

According to MMS - you'll want 4.5 ounces of lye and 12 ounces of water for this batch. Don't take my word for it though, always, each and everytime you use someone else's recipe, run it through a lye calculator to make sure you have the correct lye amount.

If you are like me, you'll round those ounces off and then figure the amount of lye.

Canola - 10.88 - I would change to 11 ounces

Castor - 2.72 - I would change to 3 ounces

CB - 2.72 - I would change to 3 ounces

Coconut - 8.32 - I would change to 8 ounces

Olive Oil - 7.36 - I would change to 7 ounces.

Still equals 32 ounces. But the lye changes to 4.48 ounces and the water stays the same.

I have found it MUCH easier to measure whole or half numbers (like 1 or 1.5), so I formulate recipes in that way. If you can't round up or down for an ingredient, I would convert the ounces to grams and measure in grams, because it's more accurate.

Your done. Soap away.

Let us know if you have any questions. or if I made something appear confusing, because it's not.

Another way to resize it - go to the MMS lye calculator and put in the larger recipe. On the second page at the bottom, you can resize it to a different amount of total oils.

For starters, I'd always suggest taking a Miller recipe and resizing it down to 32 or 48 oz - her recipes are huge.

This is a suggestion too. This is totally up to you. But the first couple of times that I made soap I didn't use any colors or fragrance. I wanted to know how things were going to react before I put any scent into it. You can always rebatch your soap and then add scent and color.

Another way to resize it - go to the MMS lye calculator and put in the larger recipe. On the second page at the bottom, you can resize it to a different amount of total oils.

I never knew that was there. I've always done the calculating by hand. TY for posting that. Learn something new everyday.

Now that I am thinking about other ways to recalculate, doesn't the soapsaver program have an automatic way to recalculate? It's got a free 30 day trial.