Do you think I'd do well at this type of show?

starlessjade

My mother and I have done a local show for two years now and are ready to give it up- at least, with the crafts that we were previously selling. I've been only making candles for just a couple weeks now but I already love it and I am already running out of places to put candles and friends to give them to, so I'm thinking about going to the fair next year with candles.

This is a small city, and dare I say very white trash. The previous years everyone balked at our prices on polymer clay art and handmade purses, and snatched up handpainted "git 'er done" signs and Route 66 toilet covers like they were candy.

Do you think that candles would stand a chance at a show like this, if most of them were simple and therefore reasonably priced?

I think you can answer that question by determining how well you've tested your product before putting it on the market. Are you convinced you've spent enough time getting the wick right? Have you tested each scent?

It doesn't matter what you reasonably price something, if you have an inferior product, that may be your last show.

if you are sucessfully tested by then, i would give it a try, but try some diff candle names along with traditional, im not sure where you live but a candle named hillbilly homebrew sounds like it would draw crowds, also other funkys like monkey farts might sell well, but you may be surprised and find tradionals like apple pie, vanilla and lavender may do well you just need to try it out, Good luck;)

I was thinking along the line of roxi above, also. I am going to try my first show (hopefully) in May at a place called the Hell Hole Swamp Festival. I haven't gotten all the info on whether or not it will be overloaded with the same type vendors, though.

I've been in line at the grocery store recently behind some people with their carts loaded with those $1 candles that were recently recalled. They were just chattering on about the wonderful candles. I started to buy some just for the containers. lol

lol... Hillbilly Homebrew, I like that! I bet I'd make a killing if I went with themes like Nascar, Route 66, hunting, etc. for naming.

Mmm... Tropical Trailer Park!

Seriously though, I was thinking that "country kitchen" type scents might do well in a place like that. Spices, baked goods, lemon, etc. And of course lots of Christmas fragrances since it's a November show.

lol... Hillbilly Homebrew, I like that! I bet I'd make a killing if I went with themes like Nascar, Route 66, hunting, etc. for naming.

Mmm... Tropical Trailer Park!

Seriously though, I was thinking that "country kitchen" type scents might do well in a place like that. Spices, baked goods, lemon, etc. And of course lots of Christmas fragrances since it's a November show.

Candles always do well as long as you don't have too many vendors competing with you. If they are a reasonable price I don't know why they wouldn't sell.

We used to do the craft shows with our Victorian birdhouses. Everyone thinks they are at a garage sale and want garage sale prices! It is very annoying. lol! I saw someone with a sign that said, "Sure you can make it, but will you?" :laugh2:

Cater to your market, or you won't sell squat.

Scented, this town starlessjade is describing sounds very much like the place I grew up...a very small, close-knit circle of hicks who don't give a rat's fuzzy behind if there's quality in the product, they only care what it looks like and how much it costs.

Suggestion: seriously play on religious themes and, since it's in November, Christmas themes. Also, if you're able to make a candle that looks like a riding lawnmower or a sleeping dog, I bet you'll sell them all out in under an hour.

Luci, my wife and I bought up a bunch of cheapo candles just for the containers one time...wow, the wax inside them was SO crap, the wick was the wrong size, and the pour was pathetic. Great containers for 69 cents apiece though! :D

Butt Naked sells well for me all year. The best selling candles I every saw, 30 people deep trying to buy. They were in the glass with the handle, looked like clear glass beer mugs/jars. Po Folks use to use them for their drink/RC glassed. No label just a warning on the bottom and no lid. Not filled to the top either about an inch from brim. Baked, vanilla and spice will sell great. They had several burning so it was very strong around their booth.

Another way to make major sales. Make some red neck wind chimes. You have to have the right people to buy these. I loved them and bought one for my dh. Piece of wood about 6x12 paint it and then write "Red Neck Windchime" on it. Get some small chain and attach to top for hanging and hang four or five chains from the bottom. Hook on empty beer cans to the bottom so they will bang together. The chain they used for mine hasn't rusted so it must be aluminum? Just think how many different types of beers people drink and of course you have to get the one the drink for who your buying it for. Sold for $12.00 but if you didn't have to drink all that beer you could sell cheaper. Ha......

"Sold for $12.00 but if you didn't have to drink all that beer you could sell cheaper. Ha......"

LOL Sharon :laugh2: !! That would certainly cut into the profits. Might need to go dumpster diving...hehe

Heck, if you're in a small town, just ask one of your local quickstops if you can put up a sign that you will buy back empty beer cans. You ought to have them coming out of the woodwork with that--more beer money!