Palm Woes..........

Poured some new votives yesterday,,, hmmm.. must be the weather change or something... every votive had some sort of small to medium sized hole left in the top..... frustration... grrrrr!!!! I tried to fix with heat gun,, but once you melt the wax.. the pretty feathering effect of the wax is gone. I've never had this problem with my soy votives,,,, is this pin hole problem a common thing in palm??:confused: I cool my candles inside of an old cooler that's covered, so they cool nice and slow... Thinkin' if this is a charasteristic of the wax, I may want to dump it in it's testing phase.

I'm using feathered palm wax from BCN, with 1 oz of FO per pound.... Thx much...

Palm wax can be a real pain to work with. After you pour it, while it is cooling, you need to poke relief holes in the top of your candles, and keep them open while it is cooling. If you don't you could end up with air pockets in your candles. In my jar, I would poke 4 in the top and keep them open periodically during cooling, then once cooled all the way, I would hit it with the heatgun just briefly to melt the top a bit and get it to run down in the holes to fill up any caverns that might be there, and the relief holes. Everyone has their own method of working with palm, so you just need to find what works best for you. To me, there were to many pains with palm, so I gave up on it, but a lot of people have mastered it and love it.

Thx Kaybee,,, I've started pouring votives up to about 1/8" or so from the top... letting them cool,then filling in the craters with a spoon, letting them cool a bit more... then repouring the tops. So far it's working and I still have the starburst look on the top like they're supposed to have. Problem is,,,, wayyy to much work... !!! :undecided not sure this will be very profitable...:rolleyes2