Glycerin Soap Question???

LadyNiya

I recently did a few bars of glycerin soap and found that if you use a bar of pure glycerin soap it makes a great cleansing/clarifying bar as I like to call it.

It dries the skin out pretty good and hubby loves it that way since he has very oily skin.

My question is... can I add other oils to it rather than just shea butter or will it be too oily causing it to lose the effect i want it to have. I still want it very cleansing to get rid of hubby's oily skin, but i don't want him to look as if he fell in powder either :laugh2:. I would love to add almond oil, apricot oil, safflower, sunflower, and etc... oils to my bars. And the Goats milk was a plus to one of my bars turned out pretty well my sister took it soon as it was done :rolleyes2

I always have to start off divulging that I have limited experience myself, but, lol...I just wanted to add my humble opinion, lol.

First, if you like the soap how it is... im not sure i'd do anything to it. But if you want to experiment with OTHER kinds of results then go for it. I don't think you can make a soap too oily- if you did it would be seeping out of the soap with in a week or less time. That is of course, up to a point. There are guidelines for how much you CAN add per lb of soap base. But as far as too oily on the skin- I suppose it could be too moisturizing for a man that doesn't need it-yes. Keep your recipie for him separate, and experiment on a more moisturizing bar for you, lets say. Otherwise, I would add just a tiny bit at a time of whatever ingredients you want to add. Continue to slightly increase the amounts until he comments that it's not working for him anymore. My hubby is the same way. I couldn't get him to use anything but Ivory... because he liked how it dried him out and made him feel 'tight'. I hated it with a fervor! He has since tried my first attemps at M&P and loves it. But if he likes it, I know it's too drying for everyone else, lol. I think there is a balance though that can be acheived. A gradual increase of oils/butters sounds like something that would work for this.

Good luck and keep us posted.:grin2:

Are you talking about Melt & Pour Glycerin soap? If so, the rule of thumb is no more than 1 tablespoon of any oil or butter per pound of base...the reason being that these oils will not be saponified and your base will get soft. That's also why adding coconut or castor will not do anything for more lather in M&P.

Are you talking about Melt & Pour Glycerin soap? If so, the rule of thumb is no more than 1 tablespoon of any oil or butter per pound of base...the reason being that these oils will not be saponified and your base will get soft. That's also why adding coconut or castor will not do anything for more lather in M&P.

LOL, good thing I never paid any attention to the "rule of thumb" ;)

LOL, good thing I never paid any attention to the "rule of thumb" ;)

:highfive: I JUST read about your 'everything but the kitchen sink' swap! HOW COOL!!

I never really experimented too much with additives the short time I did M&P...just followed the rules I read all over the place...that's where I got the rule of thumb. :rolleyes2 Now I only use it for favors, etc. and special orders by past customers...but it's neat to know those rules can be broken with good results!

I hope you'll post results and pictures from this swap...I'd love to see them! Thanks for the 'eye opener' ;)

I started messing with MP before I read the rules :D LOL! I have to mention that for some things, the rules are probably a very good idea, it's quite possible to add too much oil and have it not incorporate, or too much milk and get soap that doesn't set up well.. I've found it good to be mindful of balance.. for every liquid, a bit of solid, and for every solid a bit of liquid is fine. But honestly, additives incorporate into a good MP base quite well, and can make for lovely soap! I got a wild hair just today for something I want to try with MP.. and I know myself well enough to know that I won't rest until I've tried and either failed or succeeded, so it will eat at me until I get to it. MP is my experimentation soap, I'm far braver with it than I am with CP. It's so forgiving!

I did try to add a few things to my bars for other family members and they loved it. I added pure 2tsp shea butter , 1tsp of evening primrose and 1tsp of FO and apricot kernels and to one batch, turned out great! So i do have to play around with it a bit more. I'm not to new to m&p but very new to glycerin soap, so it's coming along pretty good. Thank you all for your help!

Sometimes a goof up can be the best thing you ever made! :wink2:

I thought they were the same thing, please explain the difference? TIA

I am very used to using shea butter soap base, goats milk, and oatmeal rebatching soap, but i never used glycerin soap base so it like a new toy to me and i wasn't really sure how far i could stretch my limits so to speak. I didn't want to kill the soap and add too much oil or not enough. The shea butter and goats milk are more moisturizing and the glycerine is just a clear base so it was pretty new to me, but i have the hang of it now. My website is laying on the clipboard thanks to Mother in law and will be up as soon as i get all my images and things together.