Soy and Black sutt

citygrl707

I made gel candles for over a year and i quite making them for the price of gel just went to high. I started making soy candles and love the smell hate the frost. So I am going to be making gel again is there anything that can be done about the black sutt that comes from the gel candles while burning. I have brought gel candles and also this was a issue for me.

soot is an issue when the candle is not wicked appropriately or when it is not trimmed as it should be.

with soy, embrace the frost. it is part of the candle. all of my cstrs. have liked the depth and demension that the frost has added.

to what length are you trimming the wick of a gel candle after burning?

cheryl

If you have your gel wicked properly and all else is as it should be...ie: correct amount of FO, and your sure the gel is good...I only use penreco, ...then the answer is....the length of your wick is the problem. I watch my gel candles closely and after several hours ...say maybe 3 or 4 hours the candle will start to produce soot. I blow out the candle..let it cool...turn it upside down and trim the wick back to about an 1/8 of an inch and relight it...problem solved..no more soot.

Bill

Jacksonville

PS.. I have burned even.... yes...Yankee candles and guess what..after a while of burning they produce soot.