Getting legal

Robin29

• 1 month later...

I started searching at legalzoom. com and went to the state government web site, usually it is the secretary of state. Most state government web sites have a "first stop shop" site for people trying to start a small business and it has a check list for you to follow. If you call them, they will ask what is the nature of your business and provide you with a custom check list, a step by step, what to do.

Also look in your area for small business ie chamber or commerce or small business associations. Be ready to be taken "from Egypt to Antarctica or a Wild Goose Chase" so to speak to acquire forms you need ( you may need to go to the local sheriff's office only to find out that you need to go to the clerk of courts office and they send you to the permit office who then tells you no you need to go to the court house and finally back to the sheriff's office where you get "oh yeah from someone in the office walking by who finally knows what to do. Sorry if I sound sarcastic but that was what happen to me on Tuesday.) A lot of those have free counseling for starting out. Your state should provide you with the pros & cons of each type of business; most start out as LLC (Limited Liability Company).

In my state (LA) we have to have an Occupational license, an certificate of occupancy (if it is other than in your home), a certificate of good standing if you will be selling out of state (I would not purchase it unless you are asked by a particular company for it because they can range from $25 to $50 and most are only good for a couple of weeks, if your name is not in the company title you may have to issue a DBA (doing business as ) statement and some require you to post them in your local newspaper for a couple of weeks, you need to get your state tax ID and may have to apply for one in you county also. Some area may make you submit a monthly or quarterly tax report. You may want to check on domain name if you are setting up a web site. You can also search on your state government site to see if the name is already in use. These fees in most area must be renewed each year.

We are in the process of setting up a small business for candles and are trying to do most of the legal work ourself and researching on line and in law libraries. Your state will have laws about small business. Also, if it is out of your home, (like mine will be) you might need to check into subdivision restrictions. I don't plan to have people coming to my home to look at and purchase candles (if I did I would have to have a handicap ramp, handicap parking increase my homeowners insurance and be subject to Board Of Health inspection and etc). There are different laws if you are selling on line for, shipping or local for tax purpose. Contact an accountant to help you in keeping records and designing forms. I did find a CD from office depot that was very very helpful on business forms and starting an LLC and making contracts and general agreement contract (all of which were design and approved by attorneys). You may want to start "getting in the habit" of keeping your receipts and organizing them in a file box ( ie entertainment, equipment, research and development, etc) and at the end of each month up them in a separate folder and label it. It will make it a heck of a lot easier when you go to do your taxes at the end of the year. If you are deciding in having a partnership you may want to decided full or limited depending on who you will be working with and funds you have available. I found out yesterday that there are small business grants (some you do not have to pay back) that you can apply for to help start a first time small business. I am learning something new everyday and feel a since of accomplishment of getting this on my own as much as I can and in the end before (like you check your research school papers) have a professional "proof read it). If you will be having employees one day you may want to look for the employee bill of rights and minimum wages and EOE signs (you can get them free on the internet).

You also need to have MSDS (Material Safety Data Sheets --which tells you about the dyes, wax and scents ) for all chemical you will be using; the person you purchase them from should issue them to you. I am in the medical field and I have set up my in the process of setting up my shop according to OSHA Fire and Safety Regulations (fire extinguisher, basic first aid kit, noting on the floor, boxes at least 16 inches from the ceiling, date and initials on all open bottles and containers, well ventilated area, monthly inspection of the equipment, set up a QI (quality indicator for daily systems check (fire ext in date, candy thermometer working, heat gun working, glue gun working, refrigerator temp check (I have a small fridge in my shop).

Lets just say I am anal about a few things and leave it at that. For my personal protection, my partners and I are developing a policy and procedure for distributing products and testing candles (in case something happens and you are asked in court about how you test or distribute ((for those clients you will never make happy)) we can say we adhere to that. We have a lot, probably of unnecessary steps but it is the anal retentive in us and our nature to protect.

Getting set up I highly recommend the Dollar Tree (you can get cheep plastic containers to store wax in and cheep cooling racks and stirring equipment, paper towel ((LOT AND LOTS)), pot holders etc. I also recommend Harbor Freight excellent tools for low prices (The Male WalMart once you go you will be hooked too).

I am sorry that this information is all over the place like confetti but I hope it helps you. These are things that I wish I knew before Tuesday, maybe I would not have been so frustrated and needed a margarita (but hey a Margarita a days sometimes keeps the stress away.

If this advise in unwanted I am sorry. Good luck in your business. Please let me know how it turned out.:D