Liquid Soap Question

Grumpy Girl

I have a few questions.

Does anyone use Soap Maker to formulate your recipes? If so, does the properties graph lie? Meaning, how can a liquid soap recipe really have hardness properties... ya know? :confused:

How much water to dilute? Is there a basic chart for % dilution of the goop?

I know it says it can calculate liquid soap, but I haven't used it yet. Are you a member of Bekka's Yahoo group? If not, pm me and I'll shoot you the URL. She's phenominal at calc'ing for the cream soaps. When I did my first batch, I think she had me start out adding a tablespoon at a time until I got it the consistency I wanted (if I understood your question correctly).

Also, I have a calculator that is specific for the cream soaps. I'll have to find the URL but I think I downloaded it for $9.00. It's the one that's always recommended on the Whisk.

I really think you should go to about.com and try that recipe. The amount of water that is listed for dilution is not enough but it will give you a start and from that point just add the boiling water by the lb until you've reached the desired consistency. I might be mistaken but I think they have a dilution table on that site as well.

I learned with this recipe and it is very easy but terribly time consuming, the remedy to that is to simply double the recipe. It worked for me and cut the time in half. If you need some help with it, PM me and we can work it out.

As far as calculating your own recipe, I have done that with soap calc. naturally you won't have a hardness number to worry about. Just look at the conditioning and other properties. If you don't want to use about's recipe, snowdrift farm has a recipe. I think they have a liquid soap calculater...not sure about that you will have to check.

HTH

Ya think?

It's going to be done today or tomorrow. I'm tired of playing with this.

The reason I do not want to use the About Soap recipe is that I do not want to use coconut oil. Not only that, but I'm not one to use any type of "standard" recipe.

Off to do some more reading on Failor's book. Again. :D

Ya think?

The reason I do not want to use the About Soap recipe is that I do not want to use coconut oil. Not only that, but I'm not one to use any type of "standard" recipe.

I can understand wanting to create your own recipe and forgive me for assuming that this is your first batch of LS. I suggested site based on the instructions not the recipe. I figured that if you were a newbie, the instructions were more important than the ingredients. Failors book is going to give you some of her "standard" recipes as well as instructions.:grin2: Oh and you don't have to use coconut oil. I did in the beginning but have since created a LS recipe that does not have coconut oil:grin2: once you learn the basics of LS making...the recipes are the easy part.

Can't say I'm an expert but I'm happy with my results and constantly work to improve and prove the experts wrong:grin2: ..just cause I love a challenge!!..LOL

Happy Happy LS Making!:yay:

Ok girl.. From comparing recipe after recipe dilution rate, the dilutation rate is between 22-28 oz pp of gunk for a normal liquid soap.

Mine is on the stove, waiting for the vaseline stage! WOOHOO!

You know those dilution tables are somewhere in my notes but I don't use them anymore. After several batches I just got a feel for it..I cook that way too...lol...Did you create your own recipe?...my recipe never makes it to that stage or taffy*faint* whouda thunk it was possible:grin2:

You're not incorrect H, this is my first batch, but I need to be difficult. I'm going to use Failor's double boiler method I think. I like the crockpot idea, and after dinner I'm going to decide what to do.

I never do anything the normal/simple way. That would be too easy.

Ya think?

You could always use some PKO instead of the coconut

Let us know how the crockpot works.. The double boiler method sucked. 2 hours ago I finally pulled it out of the pot and put it on direct heat. I think it's ready now..lol

Hmm... Tara didn't mention anything in the swap rules about being syndet based did she? I can make a kick butt one with surfactants! LOL!

Let us know how the crockpot works.. The double boiler method sucked. 2 hours ago I finally pulled it out of the pot and put it on direct heat. I think it's ready now..lol

Hmm... Tara didn't mention anything in the swap rules about being syndet based did she? I can make a kick butt one with surfactants! LOL!

No Bunny I didn't mention that but if you want to do one that's fine. What's the difference though never heard of syndet based soap?

No Bunny I didn't mention that but if you want to do one that's fine. What's the difference though never heard of syndet based soap?

Yup, it's synthetic soap... lol

I'm still fighting to get mine diluted, turned the heat back on it this morning.

Yup, it's synthetic soap... lol

I'm still fighting to get mine diluted, turned the heat back on it this morning.

Hey Bunny, I found if use your stick blender after you have added your water to the paste it will almost instantly dilute...try it. It doesn't take near as long to dilute.

I'm still fighting to get mine into the translucent stage. At 4am, after 6 hours in the crock, I gave up and turned it off and went to bed. I just turned it back on... we'll see.

I may be scraping this and doing another batch today.

Mine doesn't get to the translucent stage. Have you tried to take a small portion of the soap and add it to boiling water to see if it is soap? I hate to see you scrap a whole batch.