WSP Flavor Oil issues

Angel91805

Oh my! :shocked2: I ordered two flavor oils from WSP so that I could make lipbalm this weekend.....and nope! Not gonna happen! I don't dare taste them. The smell alone has already gagged me.

Toasted Coconut: Smells like burning tires.

Cafe Latte: IF you can get past the smell of skunk, you can barely smell one lone coffee bean. :tongue2:

The cafe latte flavor oil had to be physically removed from the house. Yeah, it is that bad. I kept looking at DH and saying "but maybe it has to warm up and gets mixed in before it behaves nicely with others!". When his eyebrows hit his hairline, I gave up and put both in a heavy ziploc and put them in the garage. Anyone else have this issue??

Guess I'm off to scope out BCN, BCS and MMS and make lipbalms next weekend!

Donna

I have about six from there and haven't found a bad one yet; maybe you should call them. Don't know about the toasted coconut, but I have the cafe latte myself and it is very good; nothing "skunky" about it. The lip balm flavors that I, personally, was disappointed in were Sweetcakes; very weak and ineffectual. I also got three in this week from Oregon Trails. They are supposed to be naturally sweetened, but only one (Champagne Bubbles) seemed sweet at all to me. Overall, I've had the best luck with Bitter Creek and WSP.

Meant to add that the OT ones were good and strong, though. I just have trouble getting flavors sweetened right, so I was hoping to get around that.

Oh my! :shocked2: I ordered two flavor oils from WSP so that I could make lipbalm this weekend.....and nope! Not gonna happen! I don't dare taste them. The smell alone has already gagged me.

Toasted Coconut: Smells like burning tires.

Cafe Latte: IF you can get past the smell of skunk, you can barely smell one lone coffee bean. :tongue2: The cafe latte flavor oil had to be physically removed from the house. Yeah, it is that bad. I kept looking at DH and saying "but maybe it has to warm up and gets mixed in before it behaves nicely with others!". When his eyebrows hit his hairline, I gave up and put both in a heavy ziploc and put them in the garage. Anyone else have this issue??

Guess I'm off to scope out BCN, BCS and MMS and make lipbalms next weekend! Donna

Sweetie, you're having a bit of a rough time with supplies lately, huh?

Can't help w/ the WSP stuff...I don't like them right now!:mad:

...Meant to add that the OT ones were good and strong, though. I just have trouble getting flavors sweetened right, so I was hoping to get around that.

I brought some stevia in avocado oil to sweeten my lip balm...works like a charm.

I luv me some OT fo's! I haven't gotten aroung to their flavor oils...trying to wait until they finish "reformulating to incorporate better"!

Sharon

Uh-ho; don't tell me that they're not gonna mix in.:( Haven't gotten around to trying them out yet. When I get in a new flavor oil, I take a toothpick and dip it in, just to get an idea of what it's like. I have the sweetener from SweetCakes, which I wouldn't recommend to anyone, and also a sweetener from WSP, which is somewhat better. I do prefer presweetened,though, whenever I can get it. The SC one is a pia; you have to melt the base and mix in the sweetener, stirring constantly. Then you have to let it harden up, and remelt, stirring constantly. The time I tried to use it, I still ended up with the top part (where I topped off the tubes) being bitterly sweet from the concentration of sweetener that settled to the bottom of the melted base.

Uh-ho; don't tell me that they're not gonna mix in.:( Haven't gotten around to trying them out yet. When I get in a new flavor oil, I take a toothpick and dip it in, just to get an idea of what it's like. I have the sweetener from SweetCakes, which I wouldn't recommend to anyone, and also a sweetener from WSP, which is somewhat better. I do prefer presweetened,though, whenever I can get it. The SC one is a pia; you have to melt the base and mix in the sweetener, stirring constantly. Then you have to let it harden up, and remelt, stirring constantly. The time I tried to use it, I still ended up with the top part (where I topped off the tubes) being bitterly sweet from the concentration of sweetener that settled to the bottom of the melted base.

I have noooo idea...I haven't used them. But because OT has it stated in some of the descriptions "being reformulated to incorporate better" I just assumed it's liquid, as in water...is it? Someone rec SC sweetener to me a while back, but after reading how to use it, I decided that was just too much damn work for lip balm!

I use the "Sugar Kisses" flavor oil from MMS to sweeten mine.

I wanted to try this, but MMS's "no air" for this item irritates me. Lip balm flavoring/sweetener that's combustable or flammable frightens me! LOL

i read that u can use sweet and lo to sweeten them true?

I tried that w/ Splenda & regular powdered sugar...what a disaster! I couldn't get it to incorporate & ended up w/ a cup of gritty butter! Maybe someone has sucessfully done this, but I sure couldn't! Maybe I'm just to impatient, but I don't want to spend more than a few minutes making lip butter/balm!

Sharon

Sweetleaf stevia now has many different flavors like milk chocolate, dark chocolate, vanilla, vanilla orange, rootbeer, grape etc....they run about $14.00 for a 2oz bottle in the health food stores. I haven't tried them in lip balm (still waiting for my containers) but they work well in the Kefir I drink. No bitter after taste. Could be worth a try.

But BCN's pre-sweetened flavors are the best ones that I have tried too.

HTH

I wanted to try this' date=' but MMS's "no air" for this item irritates me. Lip balm flavoring/sweetener that's combustable or flammable frightens me! LOL

Sharon[/quote']

The required ground shipping is simply referring to the flash point, just like they do for all FOs & EOs. USPS has recently cracked down big time on shipping liquids like this. They MUST be 201 degrees or more to ship air, and then I believe you can only include one bottle per box. I haven't read over the new regulations completely, because as a supplier, it isn't an issue for me YET. But it will be soon. I'm working with a manufacturer to bring in a new line of Lip Balm Flavor Oils, and most likely, when I add those, I'll change my shipping policies. Most of the time I ship USPS Flat Rate Boxes. I'll most likely have to change it so that any order with the flavor oils will need to ship UPS Ground. I'm still getting all the details, like flash points, from the manufacturer, but this is a change I'm expecting, and ready to accept as a part of doing business.

But you have no reason to be worried about the oils because of them stating they can't ship air. It's just due to new shipping regulations and flash point, apparently because of some idiot that purposely shipped a combustible liquid intending it to explode. Lovely post 9/11 stuff. I respect that they're tightening up security on things like this, it just makes things a little more difficult for people like us who simply want their FO/EO/FlOs in a nice easy manner, and usually as quickly as we can get them because we're addicted!

• 1 month later...

I know this is an older thread... but I too have 2 Flav oils from WSP and both of them...well... suck. The Cherry Vanilla and the Pina Colada...both smell ok OOB, but no taste and I think no sweetner...even though they state pre-sweetened. Oh well...I am off to look some more. Now what the heck to I do with them!??

Sorry to hear that others are having probs with them too, but nice to know I am not alone!:D

We have 6 flavor oils from WSP (Strawberry smoothie, watermelon, cafe latte, wintermint, bubble gum, and cherry vanilla)

I can tell you this - they smell very strong out of the bottle (and don't taste that great at full strength. Even though you don't want to, I just happened to get some on my fingers)

Once we put them in lip balm they seem quite weak, especially the coffee. We did get them where we like them and they are working nice for us though.

If I get a chance in a few minutes I'll go smell the cafe latte in the bottle again and compare it to what you described.

I just ordered Honey Bear FO from WSP. I will report back as soon as I get it. I also ordered a bunch from MMS so I can compare quality.

Don't bother with the Honey Bear. I got it hoping it would be a good honey scent. YUCK!!! It has kind of a powdery scent (DH says it smells like baby powder). I would never use it in a lip product! And I got the Traquil Sleep which is suppose to the the B&BW Lavender Vanilla, and to me, it smells nothing similar. Does MMS have a good honey? 'Course, I'll have to use up this stuff first.

(When #2 son smelled the honey bear in some lotion, he held his nose and said "Yuck! What's that smell!" He didn't like it at all!!

I use a ton of WSP flavor oils as well as the ones from BCN. I have not had a single issue with either company's flavors. I would contact WSP right away because what you are describing does NOT sound right at all.

Don't bother with the Honey Bear. I got it hoping it would be a good honey scent. YUCK!!! It has kind of a powdery scent (DH says it smells like baby powder). I would never use it in a lip product! And I got the Traquil Sleep which is suppose to the the B&BW Lavender Vanilla, and to me, it smells nothing similar. Does MMS have a good honey? 'Course, I'll have to use up this stuff first.
I don't like the smell of the Honey Bear, but I hate honey in general. This is a very good seller.