Accu-Soy Test

These are the pix of the second batch that I poured on Saturday. I made sure that the jars were warm (about 140 degrees plus or minus) this time. I didn't put a box over them to cool but I did put them in the oven. I used brown liquid dye and Banana Nut Bread fo. The cold throw is good but I will have to wait to test the hot throw.

http://www.atvbarn.com/atvbarn.htm

It seems like this wax shrinks a little more that the CBA wax that I have been using. The tops are as smooth as the CBA which I really like. I am not sure what to think about outward appearance of the wax in the jar. There are what appear to be cracks in the wax on the bottom of one of the jars. Not sure why. Maybe this will get better with experience.

Hi again,

Another udate here. The new pix are of the same batch just lit. You can hopefully see the markings (frosting) on the outside of the jar. I have this jar wicked with a htp 104. Now I did get the wick off center by mistake so don't punish me too hard. :embarasse I am really surprised by the hot throw. I did not expect to have any until the candle has cured some but I smells pretty good.:yay:

Sorry the pix aren't any better, I am working on that.

Hot throw already? That's great!

My wax pulls away from the neck of the square Mason jar too - like yours did. Mine seems to happen when the room isn't warm enough, but if you put it in the oven... not sure? Hopefully some of the soy experts will come in and give you some ideas on this stuff.

When I get a wick off center like that, I use a skewer and nudge it to center when the pool is deep enough to allow it to be pushed over.

Your candle looks really pretty. :)

Lori

• 1 month later...

I am real happy with this last pour. The wax set up real nice and the tops look good. I poured this batch at 175 degrees, way hotter than I have ever poured. I had problems at first keeping the pour pot hot enough for get everything mixed in. After getting some advice from the board that problem has been resolved. I didn't get any cracking in the mason's. This wax seems to like those jars. The 8oz jj's are a little different story as you can see from the pix. There were some wet spots and very light cracking around the wick tab. I haven't figured out why yet but maybe the wax had cooled off some by the time I got around to pouring those. I did find out that I can't use the hot glue to hold the tabs due to the hotter temp and had to switch to silicone. I am pretty happy with the wax so far and like the look of it in the mason's. It has good hot and cold throw. I can't compare it to any other wax except for the CBA and I think this new wax is better. I didn't have any frosting which is real nice and I can pour much hotter so I can speed up production. You do have to heat the jars before pouring. There is no getting around that part. A small price to pay for the end result. Oh, the mason's are scented w/blueberry and the jj's are monkey farts.

**** THE END ****

Thanks so much for the great info. I am shopping for a new soy, mine has been discontinued! I love that. :cry2:

Can you tell me, is this soy from Swan's? I couldn't remember who was carrying this brand. What is the FO load for this wax?

Thanks

Thanks so much for the great info. I am shopping for a new soy, mine has been discontinued! I love that. :cry2:

Can you tell me, is this soy from Swan's? I couldn't remember who was carrying this brand. What is the FO load for this wax?

Thanks

Sorry that your wax was discontinued. That stinks!

Yes, Swan's does sell this wax and here is the link:

http://swanscandles.com/store/soy_blends_natural_waxes.html

I assumed the the fo load was the same as the cba but I did send an email to Accu-Blend asking that question. When I get a reply I will post it to this thread. I am using 1.5 oz to 1 lb. of wax for the most part if that helps at all :)

I am pasting the email that I received today from Henry @ Accu-Blend. He was very quick to respond to my question which surpised me :) I am hoping to use their pillar wax when I get a little more experience.

Hi Theresa,

I'm glad the Accu-Soy #10 is working for you. You can put up to 10% fragrance load but I usually only suggest 8% max because it will not burn as well with anything over 8%. What temperature are you finding works best for you?

Thank you for the feedback on the Accu-Soy #10.

Henry Shishido

Accu-Blend Corporation

1460 Santa Anita Ave.

South El Monte, CA 91733

Phone: (626) 575-2850

Toll Free (888) Wax-Pro1

Fax: (626) 575-2405

Cell: (626) 589-7420

E-mail: henry@accu-blend.com