Help with C3 votive candles?

Ok This is my first post. I have been reading through alot of these posts. I have some questions and was wondering if anyone can help. To Start off I am using the cargill c3 container blend wax. The first batch of candles (pour into votives) I did not use vybar. I also heated to 175 and poured at around 150. I had lots of sink holes, bubbles, and it pulled away from the glass. (I did not heat up jars prior to pouring) The second batch I made I added vybar 260 and did heat up jars... I heated the wax to 185 and poured at about the same. I am still getting few sink holes around wicks. Also after cooling it still pulled away from jars. I am using (sampling Eco and Htp wicks) I am not happy with them. I have Hemp, RRD and Performa on order and should be here tomorrow. Can anyone give me help as to- if I need to add anymore additives, wick sizes, pouring temp experience, and proper cure time to even burn candles to test. I have excellent scent throw cold and well not sure about hot I have lots buring to test the wicks :grin2: .. what about cosmetic glitter to top off the candles as well... hmm lots of questions hehehe.

THANKS FOR YOUR HELP

You confused me at first when you said you made votives with c-3 since c-3 is a container only wax. But I think what you meant is that you poured c-3 into votive size containers???

With my c-3 I heat to 185-190, immediately stir in color and fragrance and pour right away so that the temp doesn’t drop too much. I never add vybar and don’t think you need to either. Vybar is to make the candle more opaque (which soy wax is already very opaque) and to make it harder, which you don’t need to do.

I also get a few sink holes but the color always looks great and I hardly get frosting. I do notice wet spots (the wax pulling away) usually a couple days later, but they are not too bad. The candle doesn’t rattle inside the jar.

with c-3 it should set up enough in 2-3 days for you to test your burn pool and wick, but if you want to test for fragrance throw you really should wait a full 2 weeks before you burn.

thank you so much for your help. Yes I am pouring right into my votives. What wick do you recommend for these? Aslo Do you get lots of bubbles in your wax when it is burning (around the sides on the top of the wax) I am just wondering when they are cooling if they are cooling to fast. I am pouring and leaving them in my kitchen. We keep the house around 69-70' So I would think this is ok. Hmmmm It's amazing how much there is to testing these fellas. Thanks again

FIRE,

what temps do you pour at and heat your wax too?? what wicks do you use?? I am trying to get these to turn out but am having some problems. Do you add vybar or anything else? I appreciate all the help I can get

Thanks

Also I read in one of your other threads that you so 2 pours. What temp do you heat your wax up to on the second pour. Also do you heat up your jar with a heat gun at the top when you do your second pour. I tried doing a second pour and you can tell where I started at becasue it seemed to pull away from the jar when it dried. Therefore it left a ring around the votive . I hope I am making sence

Thanks

Hi Carrie

Why do you wait two weeks on curing? I too use C-3 but only wait five days at the very most. How much F/O per pound do you use? I 'm just curious

TIA

Fire

i use 7% FO with my C-3 and notice a big difference if I wait 2 weeks as opposed to 5 days. I like them strong.

thank you so much for your help. Yes I am pouring right into my votives. What wick do you recommend for these? Aslo Do you get lots of bubbles in your wax when it is burning (around the sides on the top of the wax) I am just wondering when they are cooling if they are cooling to fast. I am pouring and leaving them in my kitchen. We keep the house around 69-70' So I would think this is ok. Hmmmm It's amazing how much there is to testing these fellas. Thanks again

I am not sure what kind of votive container you are using, some are wider than others. You may want to start with an RRD 29 since you are using container wax, and if thats not big enough use the 34.

GREAT THANK YOU

I have the RRD on order and should be here tomorrow. The votives are the standard 2" straight container. Plain for samples :laugh2: I also ordered the 10 oz apothecary jars. What wick do you recommend there? I am guessing 2 wicks but what size? Also I am VERY new to making candles. Would you recommend sticking to one scent until I master that and move on to different scent. So far I have tried Cabernet, spiced cranberrry, and baby powder. (some of my favorites) I am using the C3 and 1 oz of fragrance to 1 lb of wax. The FO came from Natures garden. They seem great. Also I am using dye from lonestar. Am I on the right track ? heheeheh. Also I am going to make more votives tomorrow. So you suggest leaving them on the counter for a while before I test burn the wicks is that correct?

I REALLY APPRECIATE YOUR HELP

Thanks again

You need to look above at the scents for soy wax. The reason being, some scent do not throw well in soy.

I just finished testing a # of F/O from Natures Garden and I only kept one that I will use in the future. One out of 12 scents4oz each tester. My testers were amazed that the throws were so light if there at all.

I wish you better luck than what I had. I talking about container candless not votives though

Fire

You need to look above at the scents for soy wax. The reason being, some scent do not throw well in soy.

I just finished testing a # of F/O from Natures Garden and I only kept one that I will use in the future. One out of 12 scents4oz each tester. My testers were amazed that the throws were so light if there at all.

I wish you better luck than what I had. I talking about container candless not votives though

Fire

I know what you mean about some fragrance companies working and some not. I usually always revert back to Peaks and Candlewic, those were the two companies I first started with and they have always brought me back. Even though there are other companies out there that have such delicious sounding blends, they just don’t work in my wax. I just bought a bunch of 4oz bottles from AH/RE and the Raspberry Lilac keeps bleeding and sweating out of the C-3. I have no clue why. And the cinna-vanilla starts smelling like plastic after burning a couple hrs.

:(

Where do you get your FO from when using containers ? I think NG was good, but have not tried any others yet. Since I am just making my testers now. There is so much to learn and I appreciate all your help

Thanks

Sorry about this I just realized Carrie had already responded to this. Any other companies with great FO will be greatly appreciated also. I am going to check out where Carrie said and order from there.

THANKS AGAIN

www.bolekscrafts.com

They carry C-3 and ALL of their scents throw in it. I know because I have bought and tested more that 50 of their scent when I first began.

They have a very good selction and their dupes and great! The prices are reasonable and they're have a sale right now.

Green Leaf is another supplier I'm checking out. Their scent throw in C-3 too but they ARE more pricey. But they have very intersting scents that ARE very strong.

Fire

I know what you mean about some fragrance companies working and some not. I usually always revert back to Peaks and Candlewic, those were the two companies I first started with and they have always brought me back. Even though there are other companies out there that have such delicious sounding blends, they just don’t work in my wax. I just bought a bunch of 4oz bottles from AH/RE and the Raspberry Lilac keeps bleeding and sweating out of the C-3. I have no clue why. And the cinna-vanilla starts smelling like plastic after burning a couple hrs.

:(

Carrie,

Which Fo do you get through candlewic? I see there are many different "grades" and was wondering which one you use? Also do you have the web page for PEAKS? I did a search but am not quite finding the right web page. Thanks again

Carrie,

Which Fo do you get through candlewic? I see there are many different "grades" and was wondering which one you use? Also do you have the web page for PEAKS? I did a search but am not quite finding the right web page. Thanks again

i always get their Ultimate fragrances from Candlewic, i have not tested their other ones.

Peaks is called Peak Candle Supply. the have a link on the right side of this message board.

i always get their Ultimate fragrances from Candlewic.

Peaks is called Peak Candle Supply. the have a link on the right side of this message board.

THANKS A BUNCH,

I am getting ready to go make 10 oz apothecary jars, going to heat wax to 185-190 like you said and use 2 rrd's 34's. I am praying this works.. I am concerned about the wax pulling away from jar.. I don't like seeing it pull away.. hmmm... Have a great day and thanks for the help