CPHP coloring?

LindaColo

I am not having luck when trying to color CPHP soap. I cook the soap until it gets a glossy look to it and add the fragrance oil. Then, I take out a glob of soap and try to stir in the coloring. However, the soap turns solid before all the color is blended in and when I try to add the colored soap to the crock pot, the colored soap stays solid. I try stirring frantically, and it does not want to blend smoothly - instead it's blotchy. Am I overstirring the soap or maybe overcooking it? I just can't figure out what a thick mashed potatoes texture should look like for the soap.:embarasse

Been there done that. For me I add color after it has the vaseline look to it. I glopped a bit in a bowl colored it and added it back to the crock and stirred slightly. Mind you the crock is still hot or very warm so the soap is still workable. I just started the cphp this past week and I am loving it. Goto bath and body on the home page and can see the tutorial. It helps a bit but you can't tell what stage its in by the pics because the additive that was used. Also google cphp you will find a lot of tutorials with great pics.

I find that adding 1 TBL of sugar to the water (dissolve thoroughly) BEFORE adding the lye to the water helps with fluidity of HP at molding time. You do have to work fairly quickly, though, as the soap thickens fast as it cools. It's the nature of the HP beast. However, pulling it at the gel stage (vaseline look, as mentioned in the post above) does make it easier to work with. You have a bit more time on your side. :) hth

Edited to add: I have my color (if it's powder or clay) ready to go beforehand. I smoosh it into a dab of glycerin with a rubber spatula so the dry specks are dissolved before adding this to some soap batter.