polymer clays

SANDY

This site explains the different types. http://www.glassattic.com/polymer/Characteristics.htm

In my own words about the different types is this: Fimo brand is good but can be tricky to work with from what I have read others that work with it. Premo Sculpey is strong and easy to work with and is great for jewelry. Premo is my favorite and I use it for everything. SculpeyIII is for making figurines and is great for kids to use. There is also KatoPoly clay which I haven't used but I hear it is the best. Then you have all types of Sculpey like eraser, bendable and others and those are fun for all sorts of things. There is also some new clays like MakinsClay which is an air dry clay which personally I was not impressed with it. Then there is Sculpey UltraLIght which is a lighter clay.

If you want to know what you like, pick up one of each and play with them to find what you like.

Thanks!!!! I was just thinking that the polymer clay would be great crafty things to do with the kids. I have never even so much as looked at the stuff in a craft store so I was just kinds surfin online and seeing what was out there. I figured it was alot like wax, personal preference. I need another craft like I need a hole in the head but my boys aren't into floral design, decorating cakes, candles or B&B so I thought this may be a good one for us to do together.

The only thing with polymer clay is that it is toxic so make sure the kids clean their hands very well after using it. The clay can leave a residue so you need to use a cleaner like Goop to make sure it's all off. I'm just so anal that I scrub and scrub..lol. And, once you used an item with the clay it becomes for polymer clay only. I think for some thing fun you should try some Crayola Model Magic clay http://www.crayola.com/products/display.cfm?product=9 My kids love this stuff and it is easy to work with and you don't have to bake it. I guess it just depends how old your kiddos are. Whichever you choose I"m sure you will all have fun.