LX-18 wick/equivalence

Well, an LX18 would be comparable in Rate of Consumption to an HTP93, and since the HTPs and CD are the same type wick by different manufacturers, and the CD8 is physically the same size as the HTP93, my educated guess would be to start out with CD8.

HTH! geek

Hi Geek,

Thanks a bunch. That helps. Although, the smallest CD's I have in stock are the 14's, 16's and 18's. :undecided It never fails. I do have a sample of a CD-8, I believe. But that means I may have to place another order if I can't get what I have to work.....and that is time and money. lol I know I have something that will work but I really wanted to try either the LX's, CD's or Eco's.

I do have ECO 6's, 8's and 10's. Are any of these equivalent to a CD8?

Also, would a CD-14 be the same as an ECO-14. Sorry for all the questions. I know that I need to test, which I do a lot of, but I just wanted to hit the best starting point as possible. I am trying to get some Valentine things done in special jars. Last year I was unable to complete much -- testing took too long. Valentine's Day sure comes quick after the Christmas rush.

Is there a comparison chart? I thought I saw one somewhere. Not the one where it shows what wick with what wax in what jar but one that compare wicks brands to other sized wick brands.

Thanks a bunch Geek!

~Holly

Ok, the CD-8 looks the close to the ECO 4. I have a whole bag of the ECO 6's. The ECO 6's look just a tad bigger than the CD-8. Altough, this is just a visual comparison. I may give the ECO 4's a try and see how they do. What do you think Geek?

Hey Geek, guess what. I have a bag of HTP 93's which you said is to have the same rate of consumption as an LX-18. I will give them a try. I also have a bag of HTP 104's which I believe is one size up from the 93's and I have a bag of HTP 83's which is one size down. So, I have some to go up or down. Thanks again!

Hey Holly, you have a sharp eye. Yield numbers for CD 8 and ECO 4 are 375 and 372, which means they're very close to the same thickness.

The yield gives you a good idea of the guage of the wick. It's the best thing to go on when you need a rough equivalency between 2 kinds of flat braids. You can't really compare rates of consumption because different companies test the wicks and the results are very inconsistent.

LX 18 is smaller than the wicks you've been discussing. More like CD 5 or 6.

Hey Holly, you have a sharp eye. Yield numbers for CD 8 and ECO 4 are 375 and 372, which means they're very close to the same thickness.

The yield gives you a good idea of the guage of the wick. It's the best thing to go on when you need a rough equivalency between 2 kinds of flat braids. You can't really compare rates of consumption because different companies test the wicks and the results are very inconsistent.

LX 18 is smaller than the wicks you've been discussing. More like CD 5 or 6.

Hey Top,

Thanks for the input and the sharp eye compliment. :grin2: I have always been told I have a "critical" eye. This can be a good thing but at times can drive me nuts and others nuts. lol

What you have explained makes a lot of sense. I can try both the HTP's and the ECO's. I have a size up for both of them. I don't seem to have a CD 5 or 6 in my sample pack. I can already tell that they would be too small anyway because by looking at the CD-8, I don't think I would need anything smaller. I could be wrong though. I am not as familiar with these wicks. I know the wax pretty well but only in 10 oz. apothecaries and tureens.

The bummer is, the person who suggested the LX-18 said nothing else he tried would work well in these heart dishes with this wax. I will see how it goes.

Thanks for your help! :)

Hi Holly

I use the LX14 and ECO2 in the same candle and both of them perform as well as each other. I use the LX mostly and the ECO if the LX seems to burn away too quickly (i think this may be because of the oils i sometimes use) anyway my point was i would think the LX18 and ECO4 would also be pretty comparable.

Jiggly

Ok, the CD-8 looks the close to the ECO 4. I have a whole bag of the ECO 6's. The ECO 6's look just a tad bigger than the CD-8. Altough, this is just a visual comparison. I may give the ECO 4's a try and see how they do. What do you think Geek?

I think Top is giving you better advice, I defer to his experience in these matters :bow:

geek :grin2:

I am going to respectfully disagree with above stated theory of sizes comparing LX to CD wicks. IMO, this is way off target. I use both. The sizes mentioned aren't even close in any comparison within my testing.

An LX 18 might appear as the same size visually, or the gram consumption rates might state differently. I use a CD 6 in my 3 oz straight sided votive glass. When I switched to LX- the size I use now is between and LX 8 and LX 10. An LX 18 wick can work with a light scent in my 6 oz tin. A CD 6 would be way too small to be considered an equivalent to the LX 18.

I am going to respectfully disagree with above stated theory of sizes comparing LX to CD wicks. IMO, this is way off target. I use both. The sizes mentioned aren't even close in any comparison within my testing.

An LX 18 might appear as the same size visually, or the gram consumption rates might state differently. I use a CD 6 in my 3 oz straight sided votive glass. When I switched to LX- the size I use now is between and LX 8 and LX 10. An LX 18 wick can work with a light scent in my 6 oz tin. A CD 6 would be way too small to be considered an equivalent to the LX 18.

Thanks Mystical for your input. Geek originally thought that a CD-8 would be close, but I know that Top thought maybe a CD-6. I was hoping someone on the board would have been able to answer my question regarding testing the GL-70/30 in the heart dish. This would have given me a good starting point. No big deal. I don't usually like to ask for wick suggestions and normally plug along with it myself. I can usually make a good guess but since these are wicks I am not as famliar with I thought it would help to speed things up a bit to get a good starting point.

I am going to start the testing today. I will post what ends up working.

Thanks again!

~Holly

Holly, if you are using the GL wax and the walmart heart dish, my suggestion in CD wicks would be CD 10-12. Three wicks in an inverted triangle, spaced about 2.5 inches apart (two on the top). This dish is tricky to wick. When I sold them I used three CD 14's in soy with most fragrances and liquid colorants.

Good luck with your testing. :highfive:

Holly, if you are using the GL wax and the walmart heart dish, my suggestion in CD wicks would be CD 10-12. Three wicks in an inverted triangle, spaced about 2.5 inches apart (two on the top). This dish is tricky to wick. When I sold them I used three CD 14's in soy with most fragrances and liquid colorants.

Good luck with your testing. :highfive:

Thanks Mystical! Although, the smallest CD I have (other than a sample) is a 14. I used the Taylored 50/50 last year with zincs in these heart dishes. I wanted to try the GL-70/30 this year since it is a wax I use in my colored wax jar line -- smaller line than my soy. The Sweet Pea and Me has an outstanding throw in the GL-70/30.

It seems like the 70/30 is about even with my soy with wicking in apothecaries, so maybe the CD-14's would work in the GL like they did for you in the soy.

I just got out in the shop, so I am going to take a look again on what I have and start on it. I am waiting on a bottle of Sweet Pea and Me so I only have a little more than an oz. left to work with until I get my new bottle.

Have a great weekend! :)