Spheres, wax amount?

Hi Chewie

After consulting my daughter's school maths book, 'cos I forgot the formula for calculating volume, this is what I came up with.

Using the formula 4/3 x Pi x R3 to calculate volume

3" mould 14oz

4" mould 33oz/2.06lb

5" mould 65oz/4.06lb

It is only a rough guess. If anbody out there with better maths than me can confirm if that is correct. I haven't used maths like that since I left school a loooong time ago:)

Ruby

(...)

Using the formula 4/3 x Pi x R3 to calculate volume

3" mould 14oz

4" mould 33oz/2.06lb

5" mould 65oz/4.06lb

It is only a rough guess. If anbody out there with better maths than me can confirm if that is correct. (...)

Hi Ruby,

Your formula is correct, but you must have made a mistake doing the calculation. Your figures are exactly 2x what they should be. :)

Andre

Your formula is correct, but you must have made a mistake doing the calculation. Your figures are exactly 2x what they should be. :)

Hm, sorry, this correction is not clear, I should explain better. The numbers Ruby posted are properly computed, it's the units she got wrong: her values are in cubic inches, not ounces. It happens that the numbers in fluid ounces are approximately half those in cu.in.

The right values are, roughly : 7-8 oz. for the 3"; 16-17 oz. for the 4", and 32-33 oz. for the 5".

Cheers,

Andre