Tesco Value Glass Tumblers

This is aimed more at the Brits out there. Would the value glass tumblers you get from say Tesco or Asda be any good to use as containers? My local Tesco sells 4 tumblers for 79p, thing is I'm not too sure if they would be deemed suitable. Would the glass be too thin? How thick should tumblers be for this purpose?

To me they look OK but I would like some feedback from those with more experience. I was thinking of getting a pack and testing out my new smells.

Ruby

It's worth a try Ruby, even if you got 3 packs to try out it's not going to break the bank.

The other thing would be finding something to cover the tops to keep dust & fingers out.

Full Moons sell plastic covers but I'm not sure of the sizes off hand, & they're probably a bit pricey like most of their things.

Sally.

BTW have you got the snow cos we haven't :(

Thanks for that guys. I think I'll run along with them and see how I go. At the end of the day as long as they're tested properly there's no danger to anyone but me.

It was only 'cos I was under the impression that any glass container used for candles had to be heavy based.

I'll pick some up this weekend while I'm doing my shopping.

Ruby

PS. Sally, woke up this morning to a light covering of snow. Nothing much though, it was all gone by midday :(.

Hi Ian

Sounds promising. We have a Wilkos here in the town too. Thing is, do they carry a lot of stock of that particular tumbler. I only ask because if you intend on carrying that particular line of tumbler, you're going to need a steady supply. If you later find that they discontinue that line then it means haveing to test a new tumbler.

I was thinking of the Tesco line as they've always got tons in stock at my local store (mine is a Tesco Extra). Plus it is the sort of thing that they wouldn't discontinue, methinks.

We have such a pittance when it comes to candlemaking supplies and accessories here in the UK. Improvisation is sometimes the only way unless you want to get stitched up with prices.

Ruby

Hi Ian

Sounds promising. We have a Wilkos here in the town too. Thing is, do they carry a lot of stock of that particular tumbler. I only ask because if you intend on carrying that particular line of tumbler, you're going to need a steady supply. If you later find that they discontinue that line then it means haveing to test a new tumbler.

I was thinking of the Tesco line as they've always got tons in stock at my local store (mine is a Tesco Extra). Plus it is the sort of thing that they wouldn't discontinue, methinks.

We have such a pittance when it comes to candlemaking supplies and accessories here in the UK. Improvisation is sometimes the only way unless you want to get stitched up with prices.

Ruby

I grabbed a load of these tumblers from Tesco and burned fine..

Also, a perfect fit lid for these tumblers is the lid of a tube of pringles. :yay:

I grabbed a load of these tumblers from Tesco and burned fine..

Also, a perfect fit lid for these tumblers is the lid of a tube of pringles. :yay:

Any excuse for a munch eh? If you need a lot the kilos will pile on.:D

Ruby

I am just a newbie amateur with no plans to sell in quantity.........Although at the rate I'm making my try outs I may need an outlet. He! he!:)

Ian

I am just a newbie amateur with no plans to sell in quantity.........Although at the rate I'm making my try outs I may need an outlet. He! he!:)

Ian

I know what you mean. I've been dabbling with soy and just making them for myself. My MIL came round one day and was amazed by the smell of one I was burning. She went away with a container and some wax tarts to test burn. She thinks they're great.

I've just gotten 50lbs each of container and pillar wax. I'm ready to do some serious R & D as my plan is to do this as a part time business from home. :)

Ruby