Asking for the Impossible

BubbleBath

Does anyone know of a website that is a sort of encyclopedia for bath & body products? I'm talking about one that describes the different types of products, along with their proper use and instructions for use. Also I was wondering if there was also a website that had pictures the different types of containers with their correct name?

I'm asking because I'm curious to know about all the different products that can be made; why one would use a specific product (rough heels, dry skin, acne, etc.); and what is the proper way to use a product and what the result should be.

As for the container website, I get aggravated when I don't know the name of a certain type of container, but know what it looks like. I've spent countless hours searching the web for using what I thought was the term, but found out is was something completely different.

I know I'm probably asking about something that doesn't even exist.... Once I'm all-knowing :laugh2: :laugh2: I might make my own B&B Encyclopedia.

Any reference sites would be greatly appreciated; but feel free to laugh. :D

I'm with you Bubblebath. I never really was a pampering and primping type so I'm pretty new to all the terminology. I don't know what a salt bar is as opposed to regular cp... I don't know how on earth one would use a shampoo bar, lol... I don't know if I need a balm or a salve, etc. I know that people sometimes call things by different names anyways so it may be an impossible task to narrow down, but it seems like there would be an industry standard to go by yanno? I know there are plenty of sites to tell you how to use Essential oils, and others that tell you about other ingredients...just not flat out terminology like you are saying. I know you all are so helpful, but I can only ask sooooo many noob questions at once and get away with it.:cool2:

I'll be looking forward to your Encyclobeautia:yay:

I suggest browsing a few supplier websites. For packaging, you'll see the categories of types of bottles(PET, HDPE, etc.. & the "shape" names: boston round, natural cylinder, etc.....) (maybe check out wholesalesuppliesplus, I know they have their containers listed by bottle/material type)

As for bases & oils, etc....most sites will list the ingredients in their lotions & briefly tell you why some of the stand-out ingredients are good & how thier properties are helpful(wsp for this too). Then you can go on other sites to have them describe lotion/etc..ingredients.

Some good sites to start reading would be: (& browse thru the entire sites & you'll find great information) www.lotioncrafter.com www.theherbarie.com

http://www.candleandsoapstuff.com/inci.html

http://www.oshun.ca/info.html www.soapnuts.com

I know I'm missing one or two EXCELLENT sites, that I can't remember. Maybe someone else can chime in. Darn, they are on the tip of my tongue & I can't remember.

Thanks for the links tarynjms, but that wasn't exactly what I was talking about. I'm wondering about a compilation of different bath & body products that can be made (not the ingredients)... A simplistic example would be

Bath bomb, sometimes called a bath fizzie is a scented ball which, when placed in a full bathtub, bubbles and fizzes, scenting and colouring the bath water. (Courtesy of Wikipedia)

Body butter, an intensive, creamy all-over body moisturizer. It absorbs into the skin easily, helping to condition, soften and smooth the skin. (Courtesy of The Body Shop)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I know that most suppliers have pictures on their website. I'm looking to find the correct name for those containers that are not on their websites, so that I can do s search on the internet for different suppliers.

index.php?main_page=popup_image&pID=215&zenid=0ef5 0e1bffab3b6ca87c6596d894322c

There was a thread started on this forum because a member was looking for this type of container. I would like to try these also, but not in the 2 oz size. I spent 3 hours searching different variations of Kangaroo Blue’s description, but in a larger size. I came up empty. Last week, I spent two days searching for a certain type of powder container. After I finally found the name for the type I was looking for, I can’t get the supplier to respond to my inquiries.

I don’t really mind searching and doing the work on my own; I just thought it would be nice if anyone knew if such a place existed.

Sorry for the rant, it’s just that I get frustrated trying to search for something when I don’t know what I’m searching for.

Sadly, I don't think any such beast exists. I've run across a book that lists b&b chemical, fragrance, flavor, and packaging suppliers from the US and abroad--but it was over $3,000!

What I do is compile my own information as I come across it. From Nature With Love has a book/catalog that they sell for about $5 or $10 (I think it's free with a purchase over a certain amount) that has a lot of information in it describing properties of essential oils, butters, etc. It also gives recipes for various b&b products. Most of the same information can be found on their website as well--you just won't have the luxury of flipping from page to page. The Sage also offers similar information on their website.

I've spent weeks looking for certain supplies too, and finding it often boils down to simply knowing the proper name for an item, just like you experienced. It's maddening!

To find the correct name for containers, you might try looking at websites from packaging suppliers, such as Freund Container. As you are learning, there are thousands and thousands of packaging options. Then, just when you think you've found the perfect item you can be disheartened to discover that you have to order a minimum of 25,000 pieces when you deal with the manufacturers.

http://www.essential-oil-recipes.com/index.html

this isn't 100% what you wanted, but maybe it will help. It has recipes-and tips...

here's part of what i found....

Using bath salts can be very relaxing as well as easing sore, tired muscles. These recipes use either Epsom salts or sea salt. The latter contains valuable minerals that help your immune system and can be very beneficial to add to your bath if you have scars that need healing or any broken skin. Bath salts can also draw poisons out of your body.

HTH, i'm bookmarking the site for myself!!

Heather

This may be of some help, I know it is to me. I requested a catalog from Glory Bee Foods (natural food and craft supplies supplier). In the catalog, it doesn't list say bath scrub and a description, but it does have all of the oils, butters, additives and such with what their properties are.

Example:

Lemon Essential Oil - Antimicrobial, antiseptic, astringent, bactericidal, diuretic, insecticidal.

Rice Bran Oil - Experller pressed. High in fatty acids and unsaponifiables. With antioxidizing properties and sunscreen properties. Use in all products for softening and moisturizing. Good for sensitive, mature or delicate skin where additional moisturizing is desired.

Its a good book to have along side when writing descriptions of your products.

This may be of some help, I know it is to me. I requested a catalog from Glory Bee Foods (natural food and craft supplies supplier). In the catalog, it doesn't list say bath scrub and a description, but it does have all of the oils, butters, additives and such with what their properties are.

Example:

Lemon Essential Oil - Antimicrobial, antiseptic, astringent, bactericidal, diuretic, insecticidal.

Rice Bran Oil - Experller pressed. High in fatty acids and unsaponifiables. With antioxidizing properties and sunscreen properties. Use in all products for softening and moisturizing. Good for sensitive, mature or delicate skin where additional moisturizing is desired.

Its a good book to have along side when writing descriptions of your products.

That sounds great. Thanks for mentioning it. I'm definitely going to get that!

• 5 months later...