Who does your challenge tests?

Hibiscus

What lab does everyone use to have their products challenge tested?

In B&B products how do you determine the shelf life based on the preservative. I have lotion that is a few months old and it hasn't grown anything that I can see, but I can't help but wonder just how long the shelf life is. Any suggestions on labs that do challenge testing would be nice.

TIA

If you have a local college that has a microbiology department, give them a call. I do the poor man's challenge test. Get one tested right after use, then out of the same batch, use one for 6 months. Toss it in the car, toss it in the fridge, stick my fingers all in it. Let my kids use it..lol And get it tested again. Much easier on the pocketbook than a real challenge test. Just ask for an APC. There's a few labs you can send off to, but I can't find them in my bookmarks!

If you have a local college that has a microbiology department, give them a call. I do the poor man's challenge test. Get one tested right after use, then out of the same batch, use one for 6 months. Toss it in the car, toss it in the fridge, stick my fingers all in it. Let my kids use it..lol And get it tested again. Much easier on the pocketbook than a real challenge test. Just ask for an APC. There's a few labs you can send off to, but I can't find them in my bookmarks!

Ok, so you have your products tested at a local college? one jar that is fresh and the other is abused for six months and then tested again?

I like that it's local as well and i think a better chance it won't get lost in the mail or mixed up. I read about a kit somehwere not sure how affective it is:undecided

I used to do the at home test from Snowdrift farms first, that way I wouldn't be horribly embarrassed if my formula was totally off. If it passed the stick test, It then went to the school. The test from Snowdrift is NOT the be all end all, it doesn't give readings. You'll know if it's way off base or worth looking more into.

I believe last time I did the test it was 25 bucks candlebean.