Aroma Bead Ornaments ??

Luci

I went to the link in the co-op section about aroma beads. The one on making ornaments peaked my interest.

I was trying to come up with an idea for favors at the upcoming March of Dimes kickoff. I thought ornaments might be something nice.

The baby cookie cutters I have found don't look like they would look like much without further decoration. I was wondering about an awareness ribbon. The MOD website features products with an awareness ribbon that is pink and blue. I have not found a cutter that is divided. Is it possible to do half of the cutter in pink and then the other half in blue? This would mean that one side would be cooked longer.

I would appreciate any suggestions or pointers that would help me surprise our attendees with something special!

You can't cook one side longer it'll melt and be yucky. You could try carefully to seperate the beads on each side. Good luck it's hard not to get them to mix. Or you could put both colors together. I've done that in red/white/blue (patriotic) and they come out looking nice.

You don't want to over bake your beads.

Thanks. That's what I was afraid of, so I thought I'd ask those of you in the know.

I really want to have something special on the tables for a surprise. We have 2 very key and long term ladies that are retiring from their posts. They have given countless hours to the March of Dimes. This kickoff will also double as a good-bye to them in that position.

I love the awareness ribbon soap mold that I have and am using right now for a breast cancer fundraiser. Otherwise, I would consider doing pink and blue soaps.

I love the idea of the ornies and have so enjoyed the pics you guys have posted of yours. Please, if any of you have a suggestion for one that I could do for this theme, let me know. I don't have much time, and I will also be doing this as a contribution, so I don't want a really huge one. I just think an ornie with a pink & blue ribbon would be very appropriate and would add to how special the work is to those who attend.

I think the awareness ribbon is a great idea! I've found the mini-cutters can be a PITA so make sure they aren't too small.

I make a Texas shaped Ornie in red, white & blue and I separate the colors. I don't find it to be very difficult. I simply use a plastic disposable spoon to lay down the beads and start with a small layer of the first color, then a layer of the next color and the next. Then, I build up the layers until the cutter is as full as I want it. This sounds really confusing--I know. You need to lay down a thin layer of beads in one color before going to the next color b/c if you were to put in a lot of one color they will roll all over the place and ruin the separation. Does this make ANY sense?

Another thing you could do is do say half of your Ornies in blue and the other half in pink. That would probably be easier and less time consuming.

As for the hole, I use a leather hole puncher to make my holes. It works best while they are still warm, not hot! I use the elastic cording used for beading for my Ornies--I think it looks better and simpler than a ribbon and it makes it a lot easier for customers b/c it stretches.

As was stated earlier, don't overbake them. They look tons better when they've got some bumpiness left in them!

ETA: I just thought of an idea. If you've found the mini awareness ribbon cutters you could do one pink and one blue ribbon with a hole in each and string one of each (2 total) on one cord. It would look SOOO cute!!!!