Help ,don't want to change jar

I love the look of the Metro jars I'm using from the Jar Store. I've been testing the 2oz, 8oz and 12 oz sizes since October and am close to wicking these jars correctly.

My husband, the business man finally forced me to determine my cost for each candle. I was shocked at how much the jar cost was in relation to the other products.

I really want to keep the Metro jar look but the only way I can do that is to try to reduce shipping. Has anyone ordered pallets from the Jar store? Does it significantly reduce your cost?

If I can't reduce shipping I'm reluctantantly thinking about changing the jar I'm using:undecided . I really don't want to go through all that wick testing from scratch again. I'm very close now to getting the right wicks and sizes plus I really like the Metro's appearence.

If I have to change jars, I looking into WSP they are located very close to my parents in Ohio. I could buy direct from them when I visit. There's nothing close that I could find in northern IL.

Any help in ways to reduce costs for Metro jars would be gREATly appreciated:yay: .

I agree Shine. I am in Indiana and just ordered 1cs from the Jar store. The shipping was $20. I can't seem to find any closer either. I'll keep an eye on this, hopefully someone has some great suggestions. I really like the metro jar look and don't want to change!

if you don't want to order a pallet, order the 200 lb weight...also if you have the them deliver to a commercial address instead of residential, that will drop your shipping cost....buying one box at a time will kill you...they say 5 boxes of same jar will get you a lower price. If you play with the shipping calculator, you'll find sometimes adding an extra box only raises the price a couple of dollars.

If you're in a city large enough to have a hotel/restaurant supply give them a call, cause they all work w/ suppliers like Libby & Anchor Hocking. Ours is open to the public & I think most of them are. I can get the metro or status jars there for less than any other supplier, unless I drive somewhere close & order in large quantities. My problem is the turnaround time of an order, can be as much as 3 wks. What is your final cost on the jars when you include shipping?

Susan.

Well, if you have a hotel/restaurant supply near you, the turnaround thing may not be an issue for you. Just something I have to deal w/ here. Here the total cost is 8oz $2.04 & 12oz $2.29 - so it sounds like you may be getting them for the best price available w/ shipping. If I drive to Taylored Concepts I can cut the cost to 8oz $1.80 & 12oz $1.89, but I have to factor in gas & lose at least 3 hrs of drive time. I think you're down to just facing that is the cost of using this jar & trust me, I like this jar the best, too! Let's go the other way - what are you selling these for? I can sell the 8oz for $11.00 & the 12oz for $15.00, so even though the cost of the jar is the biggest expense, I still make my x3 markup.

Susan.

I haven't "officaially" ;) sold any candles yet but... just before Christmas a friend of mine that encouraged me to get started making candles invited me to put some candles in her home craft show for friends and family.

I sold the 2oz jar for 3.00 and the 8oz for $7.00 (I hadn't tested enough wicks in the 12 oz to sell then). I know I under priced them but it was for friends and family. I'd like to sell the 2oz for 3.00, 8oz for 10.00 and the 12oz for 14.00. I won't make much on the 2oz but thought it would be an economic way for people to try my candles. People loved them for teacher's gifts and stocking stuffers. I took in $200. That was great to me but it didn't make much of a dent in my start up costs.

I'm still testing and tweeking. I hope to be up and running this fall.

Well, even if the cost of the jar is a bit of a 'shocker' when your husband broke down all the costs it sounds like you're right in line for a normal markup. Some people run higher, some run lower w/ what their markets will bear. IMO, the smaller jars are always the hardest to make your markup on. BTW, my WalMart sells the 2oz metro jars in the craft section. I don't remember the price, but you might be able to shave some cost on that size jar.

Susan.

I just bought a fairly large order from WSP and they actually sent me the wrong jars. I called and left a message Friday night and they called me first thing this morning and was going to ship the correct jars today. Then I asked them about keeping the jars they had already sent and they said sure and gave me about a 15% break on the cost, that was including no shipping. So now that I have a ton of jars I was very impressed with there customer service and tell anyone that they are great to work with.

When you order a fairly large order from them you do get quite a break in price.

• 3 weeks later...

erinmfritz

I dont know how close you are to Indpls but there is a place on the northside called flower factory. They have a big selection, styles come and go but I didnt see any metro jars there last time. I did ask them if they had more of a selection and they said they could order in from the home office store. Also there is Indiana glass and they have a $299 minimum right now (not sure if thats all the time or not) they have a "candle" section and a "craft" section, not sure which category i saw the $299 minimum on but maybe you could drive and pick them up. if i remember right the outlet store is in eastern ohio. ok i found the link to the $299 minimum. I haven't called them yet to find out all the details but here ya go maybe it will help ya. good luck

http://www.indianaglass.com/catalog.asp?cat=1

Accents & Cowgirl, you are awesome! I checked out Indiana glass and found some jars that I have been searching for & couldn't find although I can't do the minimum order, I e-mailed them to see if they can ship less. Worst they can say is no. I've looked at fancycandlejars before & for one reason or another I went with the jar store. I didn't realize that they are in IL, that alone will save on shipping, but they have better prices before shipping. I love this jar but was considering switching because of price. I am so glad I have found this board, I have learned so much!

:whoohoo: :whoohoo: :whoohoo: :whoohoo:

good luck with indiana glass emailing you back, they didn't me. you might want to call them. i just haven't gotten around to it yet but they do have a big variety. i like the jars at fancy candle too. shipping cost are just totally ridiculous. this board is awesome, lots of talent on here and great ideas. maybe someone can get a co-op going on some jars for us one of these days

A co-op would be awesome but would that be cost effective? Double shipping on jars? Well, we could meet the minimum probably pretty easy I would assume, especially for the Metro jars. I think maybe a couple co-ops specific to the area you live in, I don't know. I have just started with the co-op thing.

I'm sure someone out there would like to volunteer. Anyone live close to Indiana Glass that could pick up the jars? That would be ideal, you know in a perfect world:laugh2: :laugh2:

I don't know if it would be fesible to do a co-op or not. I do know that it isn't that far from Indpls, I pulled it up on mapquest once and i think it was like 3 or 4 hrs (close to that) which really isn't all that far. I was thinking about driving my truck over there to get a pallet if I could get someone to go in with me that might be close. I have seen a few members on here within an hour or so from me. I'm not sure where Leo is but if we did do it maybe we could all meet in a general location like Indy and then we wouldn't have to reship them if we got enough of us in the general area. But I do have several options as far as picking them up if anyone is interested. But I am not taking care of the money and stuff on here for a co-op I am too new of a member for that. Looks like the co-ops are alot of work but I will volunteer my services for going after them if that helps any. Heck who knows maybe they would let us mix and match if we got X amt of cases or dollar amt. I think those little flower pots are cute. I wonder how heavy those are though. I know the metros are nice and heavy.

BTW, my WalMart sells the 2oz metro jars in the craft section. I don't remember the price, but you might be able to shave some cost on that size jar.

Susan, does your Wal-Mart sell the jars with lids? Our local one has the jars, but no lids.

TIA,

Jane