Scent Throw

New to candle making but not completely stupid. I have poured some soy candles and they do not have a good hot throw. They smell awesome when they are cool but when i burn them i get nothing. I use ecosoya cb advanced wax. pouring in 8 oz tins and using dye blocks to color. My FOs are from gelluminations.com along with all my other supplies. I am using a 51 32 18 cotton wick that burns my candles perfectly. Burn pool comes right to the edge. What would help with a better hot throw.

Maybe its your FO's. Maybe they are not set up to throw well in Soy. Its better to go with FO's that have been tested in Soy. Bitter Creek, Millcreek, Peaks, Just Scents. Those are just some of the suppliers that do test in Soy and they will tell you exactly what works well. I have read some posts where some people question if the EcoSoya container blends throw the scents as well when burning. Check your variables. The only other thing would be if you are adding enough Fo?

One thing that I don't think many new ppl think about is the size of their candle vs the size of the room they want the candle to throw in. Correct me if I'm wrong, but in my testing small jars like 8 oz jj, or of similar size, are only throwable in rooms like bathrooms or small offices. On the other hand, jars that are small but have a wide mouth and need double wicking would be more favorable in a larger room. Wider melt pool, better throw. Just wanted to offer a different perspective. :)

They have been bured for about four days. I've tried it in a small bathroom to our masterbedroom and you cant smell it unless your within about 1 foot of the candle which im am unsatisfied with. All of gelluminations scents are supposed to work well in soy. Im adding about 1.5 ounces per 16 ounces of wax which is what is reccomended. Thanks to all.

New to candle making but not completely stupid. I have poured some soy candles and they do not have a good hot throw. They smell awesome when they are cool but when i burn them i get nothing. I use ecosoya cb advanced wax. pouring in 8 oz tins and using dye blocks to color. My FOs are from gelluminations.com along with all my other supplies. I am using a 51 32 18 cotton wick that burns my candles perfectly. Burn pool comes right to the edge. What would help with a better hot throw.

I use that very same wax and where you get your fo makes a big difference as I have learned from this board. I have found that the longer you can let them cure the better they throw. I have 8 oz jj's that I had tested a couple days after pouring that didn't throw worth a darn but after a few months, the same batch same scent, they would knock your socks off! Most folks can't wait that long and need to get them to market so it really does come down to reading, asking and testing to figure out what works well for you.

As you read this board you will find that there are other waxes that are said to throw better right off the bat. Don't be afraid to try them you may find something that you like better. That being said, welcome and good luck :yay:

agrace - what FO's you have tried. I have used a few of gelluminations and have had good CT and HT. I'm using 8 oz. jj's. GB 415 wax. I have Clean Cotton in the bathroom and I had to shut the door, very, very strong. I could have easily cut back on this fo. :DI've had good luck with several others as well from there.

Good luck.

tartnflight

They have been bured for about four days. I've tried it in a small bathroom to our masterbedroom and you cant smell it unless your within about 1 foot of the candle which im am unsatisfied with. All of gelluminations scents are supposed to work well in soy. Im adding about 1.5 ounces per 16 ounces of wax which is what is reccomended. Thanks to all.

Not necessarily, only the FO's that says Premium soy. I have quite a few of their scents but some of them are just not strong enough period. Some of their scents are awesome and some are just tooo weak but that goes for about all of the suppliers. You have to try samples of the scent you desire from different suppliers because they are not the same quality and strength.

well, their fragrance chart says they all work well in soy. I have tried fruit slices, lick me all over, cool water, and cucumber melon. I think I shoud try a new wax but i love the soy. It is already in chips, melts and pours easily to me. I didnt warm my conatiners and they looked great. It also has a good burn time. You also do not have to add anything. If you think i should change, what shoud i change too? I need something with the a price about the same or less and i am looking for something that i will not have to add sanything but my fragrance and color. Another thing, what are jj's. Thanks

Im in Mississippi. There really are no local suppliers so my only alternative is online. What online supplier do you all suggest?

Craft lobby

http://www.craftlobby.com/index.html . They have great customer service. I don't know how they are on shipping because I just pick up my orders. Also, ICS has good shipping pricing, so you maybe you could try them.

Let me just say this. All gelluminations oils are not bad. All suppliers have some weak oils compared to others thats just the biz itself. I have tried some of their premium soy and regular oils. Some are good, some are just ok and some are not worth a dime. But like I said before you have to sample different suppliers because one supplier does not have the best of everything for example you may like pink sugar from gelluminations and hate it everywhere else but hate the rest the of their oils or you may love ICS warm vanilla sugar but hates gell's and so forth. Every supplier is different. I use several suppliers after trial and error and one supplier is not better than the other unless you include customer service and shipping into the equation, then thats another post all together.