votive type gel candles

DonnaP

Just wondering if any gel chandlers have tried making votive type gel candles.

By that I mean the stand alone short pillar type candles. Like the wax ones you see for sale everywhere that you sit in a votive glass.

I have never worked with CHP gel, only the CMP gel. I understand the CHP is a stiffer gel...is that correct??

I'm wondering can the CHP be poured in a votive mold and then removed and sold that way. Where you could buy different colors an FO's, and take them home and put them in your own votive glass...just like is done with wax votive candles.

You will never get gel to release from a votive cup. A few years ago I seen a company that made them but they where made in a plastic mold and when sold where still in the mold and the customer peeled the plastic away from the candle.

I have wondered about the clamshells from Alabaster but my question would be can they hold up to our pouring temps.

Good point Vicky about the pour temps. Guess its time to shoot off and email and ask Scottcrews about the possibility of a silicon high temp mold like they make for imbeds ...guess they need to do a votive one.

Guess my main question now will be how much if any..difference is there in the ridgedness of CHP vs. CMP.

Thanks for your input Vicky

Bill and Donna

Jacksonville Fla

Not as much as you think. I use to make these really neat skulls out of gel as long as they where unscented they would hold up pretty well using CHP but if I added FO they would hold up for a while but not long soon they would almost always start to collapse.

Gel is so soft that I think for selling reasons you would run in to problems it not like regular wax if you are selling at a show and it get 100 degrees or better you might get some sweating slight melting, gel would just collapse. It would have to be contained some how like any other container wax.

I know that on the board others have mentioned using dixie cups for making wax votives and then peel away the paper dixie cup. Dont know if they would work with gel though? If your gonna give it a try, I'd probably set the dixi cups into another pan to catch any seepage when pouring just in case it didnt work. btw.. I've been considering playing with gel.. where can you find CHP gel? whoops,.. never mind found the chp at bitter creek.