soy palm blend

My wife and I make soy candles. we have a customer that wants us to make her candles for her but she insists on a soy palm blend. We have no experience with palm wax whatsoever. If anyone out there has any experience with this I would sure appreciate some input.

Thank You

I would be curious why a soy palm blend. If she is looking for the look of the palm candle, soy will kill that look. Palm doesn't even throw as well as soy, so I am not sure what the benefit of adding the palm to the soy would be, besides making it harder.

We use soy & palm for some of our work. At a ratio of 1 part soy to 4 parts palm, we still get plenty of feathering even when we pour at almost slushy temps. Because brands differ highly, I don't know if the same results would hold true for anything other than the waxes we are using (soy = Cargill C3 and Malaysian palm wax from JBN).

We have blended these two waxes for pillars and votives - usually at the same rate above, but have upped the soy to 1 part soy to 2 parts palm. Any more soy and the blend becomes too soft for our taste.

The round pillar in the photo (the one with the orange streak) is made from a 1:2 blend...

DSC02379.jpg

(sorry for the dark photo - I cropped it from a large group...)

Here's one poured with the 1:4 blend...

SandysDadsStargazer.jpg

Thanks, Myst. Because of the lighting in that pic, it's a little outta focus. That one is VERY sparkly with small crystal patterns... The high ridges of the twist candle are all very shiny so it really is a much prettier candle in reality than the blurry photo shows...:rolleyes2

I dunno for sure, Moonshadow, cause I don't use the same waxes and they do behave differently, but go on ahead and try it - it ain't like makin' homemade dynamite! If it looks like my partner's first hand-dipped taper, melt it down quick before the vice squad sees it! :shocked2: