100% Natural?

MysticalMomma

EO's are stronger than FO's it doesn't take as much of them. If using EO's you also need to do research because there are alot of them that shouldn't be used for people with high blood pressure etc. So many EO's have warnings of some type for certain things it's safer and easier to go with FO's IMO.

Some EO's can be very dangerous. Some can cause miscarriage, some shouldn't be used by people with heart conditions etc. Be very careful and research each one.

That said, the word natural is an unregulated word to the FDA. You can put FO in something and call it natural. It isn't ethical but it's legal.

There are lots of EO's that you would practically have to drink to get any adverse effects: lavender, lemon, orange, peppermint, litsea cubeba, etc. There are a lot of dangerous ones, but most are safe if used in sensible quantities. Almost anything can be dangerous if used incorrectly.

FO's on the other hand, in my opinion, are not as safe as everyone seems to think. There are lots of people who have problems with chemical scents, who have no problems with EO's. I was once sick for a week, felt like my lungs were on fire, from a 1 minute exposure to a highly scented candle. I use EO's all the time, as room sprays, in my soaps, in bath salts, in water simmering on the wood stove, and have never had a problem. I have a shop in which I sell my soaps and bath salts, along with lots of unscented things, and we've had people come in and tell us that it is nice to be able to shop in a store that doesn't stink to high heaven from the masses of scented products that most other stores seem to carry these days. Many people like highly scented candles and soaps, but there are many, like myself, that dislike them, and many that get very sick from any exposure to them.

If your friend wants something "natural", EO's are the way to go.

There are a lot of nice aromatherapy books out there too that will list uses and warnings of EO's. The books are easy to find and helpful to have around when looking at what what you can use EOs in, especially when thinking about using them in bath and body products. I think

I have about 5 floating around somewhere.:)

And use a light hand with FOs and whipped shea. I've found most of my customers that buy whipped shea are using it on problem areas of their skin, or very dry skin, and fragrances - FOs *and* EOs - can actually irritate it more. It's not an "easy" product to just stuff a lot of fragrance into.

If your friend wants it 100% natural, it may be simpler to tell her it will need to be unscented, especially if you have little experience with EOs. I think she would understand, because before I started making B&B items, I didn't know about EOs/FOs or what it takes for it to be really natural.