b&b and testing

jldorrington

ok so i got the test test test thing down with candle making, not i want to try my hand at b&b i want to do M&P, body sprays, lotions, stuff like that, stuff i can easily get bases for and just transform. now here is where the question lies. is the testing on stuff like that as extensive as candle making or is it more along the lines buy base add skin safe oils and skin safe dye, try it out and good to go or what?

i know these are prob stupid questions but i feel its better to ask then make the assumption that once i do what i want to do its fine, or 'test' and not know what i'm testing for i mean obviously if i break out in a hideous rash something isn't right lol thanx all

I second this question.

I do know that testing with B&B is probably more about OTHER peoples opinions than our own. But what I don't know is what q's to ask. How to approach it, how long to let the testers/testing run, etc.

And oh yeah, how to get honest opinions out of family and friends, lol:mad:

Ok, In my experiences, :D

When you're making something from scratch, I would definitely test it yourself for 2 weeks to make sure the product won't go rancid, mold or watery after while, if you're pleased with good result, then ask for your family and friends to test it out for ya.

now with using like BB ready made batches, testing is still needed but not as long.

for sample, as I had to find out the hard way. I made MP soap and packed it up and all that after my testing. only Later to find out that it turned brown on me, or it got this beady thing all over it, *which turned out to be sweat* so it was cause of vanilla base that was in f/o and all.

Then it was back to drawing board to find out why and what not.

I would really make sure you test your bb products, check to make sure there's not a lot of oil in products while bathing, don't want a lot of slippage going on in the tub/shower. make sure no one breaks out in rashes lol

and that they aren't turning blue from colorants...hahaha

I'm no expert and I'm sure others will chime in. but everything you make should be tested and tried by others to get opinions and results.

HTH

Dani

I agree with Dani in the fact that you need to test it no matter what. If you are doing ready made products and you are following the mfg's directions completely, I would still hang on to the product for at least a month before giving it to anyone just to make sure that it doesn't grow critters. If you are making your own lotions from scratch (not a base) or anything else that contains water, I would tripple that hang on to time - if not more - just to make sure you have the preservative thing right on them.

What I do for my bb products - mostly body butters, bath bombs, bath salts, and lotion bars (I'm fearful of that whole water and lotion thing!) - is I make them and do the time trial. But because of my sensative skin, I let a friend of mine test the ones with FOs as almost every FO I have makes me break out! I can do most EOs but not FOs for some odd reason... anyway - I use a paper towel to "expose" the product (like I'm rubbing it on my skin) and that's how I do the time trial.

I hope all that makes sense. Just remember to keep things SUPER clean - including your hands and body - and you should be good. Use a bleach solution in a spray bottle to keep things clean, before, durring and after. ;)

Best of luck!

Life & Light!

Tish

oh i def know i need to test just wondering how extensive testing was with pre-mades

as far as the bleach to keep things clean you think clorox anywhere would do the trick

yes you can use bleach diluted in water in spray bottles, or use that clorox clean up spray you get at the store. or MY FAV. :D

THE CLOROX WIPES...HAHA EASY PULL OUT OF CONTAINER AND WIPE AWAY AND TOSS IN TRASH....SCOOOOOOOOOORE!!

DANI