Business Name Ideas

jgcurtis1961

Hi,

I've been making candles and testing since October of 2005 and am now ready to start selling. I'm in the process of making a website and am trying to come up with a good business name. I live in Rural Nebraska and so far every name I can think of has been taken. I'm making para-soy blend container candles, votives, and melts. I'm also going to be making some melt and pour soaps because I need to get insurance through the soap makers guild since I've exhausted all other avenues for insurance. They require you to make soap to qualify for their insurance. My question is this what does everyone think of the name Country Bumpkin Candles? I've searched google and on here (candletech) and can't find that name being used although I've found a fragrance oil named country bumpkin. Do you think Country Bumpkin Candles would be a good name or should I try to come up with something else since there is a fragrance oil named country bumpkin? I'd appreciate any other suggestions for names that you all might have..Thanks!!:D

IMO- your business name is very personal. It needs to be something that you love that represents who you are, the items that you sell and what you want your image to be.

It all needs to tie together. If you are making up-scale, retro or modern soaps and candles then I would not think the name would be fitting. If you are more into the primitive or country look then the name would fit.

HTH.

Jennifer

Thanks Jennifer...my candles definately are country themed. They are all made in Jelly jars and have hang tags tied on with rafia. The hang tag has country graphics and my website will also have a country theme. I have been trying to think of a good name that would work for country themed candles. Being as I live in such a rural area where much of the population is involved in agriculture I thought country themed items would be appropriate.

I love this game! You tell us some stuff, we brainstorm names....take 'em or leave 'em, we don't care.

OK...any rivers, mountains, monuments in your area? How about your street name? Anything else we can play off of? throw stuff out, you never know what will stick. :wink2:

I envision a little raggedy ann type graphic for country bumpkin candles. Or a sign that has the word pumpkin printed with a line through it with the word "bumpkin" underneath. Cute idea, run with it if someone hasn't already.

If you are still looking for insurance, if you only make candles you can got to The Handmade Beauty Network, they are just like the soap guild. Same price too and I think they use the same insurance company too.

Awww shoot that figures!! Well hmmm back to the drawing board. I also liked Panhandle Candles because I live in the panhandle but there is a Panhandle Candles in Texas. Another idea was The Candle Shack but I thought that was to close to Sugar Shack candles which everyone out here raves about. How does prairie breeze candles sound? I'm just throwing stuff out here. Or Country Bumpkin Scentsations or Aromas?...Would it be wrong to even use Country Bumpkin in any way for my candle business? My son suggested firefly candles or Northern lights but again I found a Northern Lights and a firefly candles in Austrailia, lol. I would have never thought coming up with a name could be this hard.

another idea for you......some things to think about when naming your business....this worked for me

What is your goal/dream for your business?

How do you invision your business?

How do you feel about your product?

What do you want others to think about your business?

What type of legacy do you want to leave?

Wrap it all up and your name might come easier....something memorable....a name that will back up your product...your mission....your dream.

May not work for you...but it did for me

OK, I'll pitch a few ideas -- what about a play on words, Plain Great Candles. Or, maybe work the obvious w/ In The Sticks Candles or Corn Cob Candles. Indian influences, Red Cloud Candles, Flat Water Candles or Broken Arrow Candles. Geography influences, Chimney Rock Candles, Black Hills Candles or Weeping Water Candles. BTW, I was born in Omaha & don't possess an odd knowledge of any other states!!

Susan.

Those are some great ideas:grin2: I got my name from the first 2 letters of my name and the first two of DH's name. We thought it sounded upscale and kind of French. A few months later after we registered our name a clothing designer came out with something very similar, so I guess we picked a good one.

Okay, where do you live in the panhandle? I live in the Nebraska Panhandle too! :)

There are certainly lots of things around here to think about while using a name.. and one that I was sooooooo tempted to use, and still hesitate to share because it was almost my first pick was Pumpkin Creek Candle Co. Pumpkin Creek runs through the panhandle in a few different spots. Another one that was in the running for me was Prairie Candle Co.

Do you do anything else besides candles?

I can't believe there's another candlemaker on the board right in my neck of the woods LOL! Welcome!

Hi Prairie,

I currently only make candles. I do melt and pour and shampoos for my families use only. I've wanted to start dabbling a little more in bath and body especially cold pour soaps but the whole working with lye thing worries me but WOW there are some awesome soaps out there. I pm'd ya!