Thoughts on Candle Curing

I'm not going to make candles to sell, but for those of you that do...

could storing candles you've poured, (whether container or pillars, etc)

be stored into whiskey kegs to age/cure them a little faster?

What I mean is the day's pour. Like a keg for Monday, Tuesday, etc.

So it wouldn't have to be re-opened.

Jack D. came to my mind when I was thinking of ways to "cure" a candle perfectly but quicker.

And for those of us who are hobbyists, we could use vacuum sealed canisters?

Or a bread proofer? Something that keeps a tight seal. Is that the goal for curing a candle?

Or is it simply time? Like aging wine?

To cure and candle it should have a tight fitting lid and just be allowed to rest like fine wine. JMO:grin2:

I made a Christmas scent that would not throw after weeks of curing. I stuck them in a box and forgot about them 2 years ago. This Christmas I dug them out and burned them. They were so strong they almost drove me out of the house!

I'm not going to make candles to sell, but for those of you that do...

could storing candles you've poured, (whether container or pillars, etc)

be stored into whiskey kegs to age/cure them a little faster?

What I mean is the day's pour. Like a keg for Monday, Tuesday, etc.

So it wouldn't have to be re-opened.

Jack D. came to my mind when I was thinking of ways to "cure" a candle perfectly but quicker.

And for those of us who are hobbyists, we could use vacuum sealed canisters?

Or a bread proofer? Something that keeps a tight seal. Is that the goal for curing a candle?

Or is it simply time? Like aging wine?

I dont think you can compare candle curing to whiskey being aged.

You cant speed up curing time just keep a lid on it and wait.

Bruce

Yes, actually. I do have one.

I'm only trying to learn the theory behind curing candles. Wasn't trying to imply that people should go out and buy bread proofer or kegs.

Just wondering if items that are used to cure/bind chemicals would speed up the time or make it better. Kegs are used because of the natural chemicals in the wood and they effect taste, color and smell. Just like with cigars and a humidor or curing meat with salt brine in wooden barrels.

Was only wondering if the same logic would apply to candle making somehow. If there's no parallel, it's fine. I'm just trying to understand.

For a hobbyist, that looks like it would cost a pretty penny. It is not necessary for any hobbyist to go that far.

For a hobbyist I was wondering if suction type canisters would work.

Sorry again. Wasn't trying to imply people needed to go that far.

:undecided

Since you have this on hand, I think it would be a great place for storage--something I desperately need more of;)

As for curing, I'd be lying to you if I tried to explain exactly what happens in this phase. As a matter of fact, my husband asked me why the candles had to be cured, and I couldn't give him a straight answer!

Looks like it's back to the search button---yet again!

For a hobbyist I was wondering if suction type canisters would work.

Sorry again. Wasn't trying to imply people needed to go that far.

:undecided

I thought you were willing to go that far and buy something like that. If you have and can use, then go for it. There is nothing special needed to cure a candle except time.

No I was just naming off things that came to mind that are used to age or cure. Then I thought about the bread proofer I have, lol.

Simply because it's an air tight seal and controls humidity. ;)

I'm not finding alot of information about the curing stages either...but it is interesting to me and I guess I still don't understand why it's needed.

Not wanting to argue or anything- Just forgot all I have learned about molecules/chemistry.

But if it's only time that's needed, sounds simple enough.

The tarts I made burn/throw so well right after cooling. Really has me confused.