Painting Candles

Hi:

I was wondering if somebody could give me some info on painting candles.

Have made a candle that I would like to paint but never have tried it.

I made the candle with paraffin wax!

Do I have to treat the candle with a coating of some kind before I paint it?

What type of paint is used etc.

This is a new venture for me.

Thanks in advance for any help here.

CEP

Cep....I spray on two coats of matte finish acrylic varnish. Let dry between coats and then you can use regular acrylic paint. Then I spray a coat over it or use a glossy one ifI want it shiny. I haven't tried the new product on the market...might do it one of these days. Donita

Thanks for the info!

I am not a computer person!! So as I try different things like forums, I learn as I go. Sorry if my post was annoying!!

CEP

No it was not annoying. I just wanted to point out, to help you, that there is the search function, how to use it and how useful it is. I hope this help you.

Thanks I will check out some craft stores in my area.

I have tried the search feature and have learned a lot but I'm sure I'll have more questions as time goes by. It is a hobby with me and I find it very intersting!

CEP

This is my experience with it. First, it is the oil in the fragrance the affects paint adhesion. It is best to use either unscented or lightly scented candles. I have used Plaid Folkart enamels (you can find in any craft store, just make sure it is the ENAMELS). The finish is shiny like the candle which is nice. It also helps to use a gloss varnish. Hope this helps!

-Jill