Scent Throw from wickless jar candles

modhatter

I tried placing a 8 oz. jar with wide mouth on a warmer. It took about a half hour to melt about 3/4's of the way up. It never got to reaching a full melt before I turned it off. I can't say that the throw was anything special, but then I am not sure if you have to wait until the entire candle melts before getting significant throw. Like your experience with this.

How does the throw using this method compare to say just burning it with a wick? Is is stronger once all the wax melts?

It seems to me that you would shorten the life of your candle doing it this way. When I say shorten the life, I mean lose the scent quicker.

What's your take on it. What's the benifit of doing it on a burner without a wick. Other than safety, I don't see an upside.

I think once it's all melted, it is stronger, but like you said, it will not last as long as a candle, in my opinion. I make candles with a wick, but I do sometimes put my left over, unused wax in a tart warmer. And again, this is what my opinion is.....I have to pour the melted wax out in a few days, where my candle I can re-light several days.

I think a candle does last longer because you are only heating a portion at a time, and the unmelted wax remains scented. Now I have put a whole candle on a warmer before, but it was such a waste to me. Especially the large 16 ounce ones. That size candle would last me a month or more, but on the warmer, it's scent is gone in 3-4 days.

But I will say this, when I plug in a tart warmer, ( I always use electric) it might stay on all day, where if I had lit a candle, it would have been blown out in a few hours. SO..... a tart could possibly last longer than mine do, if it was cut off as if it were a candle. There are upside and downsides to both. Just what you prefer.

Jamie

I think that it doesn't make sense to put a candle on a "burner" and melt it completely without lighting it. Although I just tested my first one and love it. I did a Black raspberry vanilla/ burgundy colored wickless candle on a burner because I have a friend that asked me about them. I used the tureen jar(8 oz). It was great. The CT wasn't that great but the HT was awesome. It boils down to supply and demand I think. Go figure, some people just don't like the flame.

Hi,

I do a lot of these and have for a long time, so let me just shoot a few things at you that I have learned:

Make sure that your jar is short and squatty, like the tureens sold at CS. You might find the short, flat, Elite Series Mason Jars in your area...these work beautifully.

Use the max FO load....9% for most waxes. Good FOs are important...must be good quality.

Make sure the candle warmer is operating properly...they do not last forever...avg. melt pool temp is generally around 165.

You must melt it completely, and just like with a candle you burn...let it alone for a good 3-4 hours. Think of it as a huge tart...you wouldn't half melt a tart and expect good performance. The scent will flow throughout your home.

Also, if the warmer is new, I have found that they need a bit of priming. A warmer used a couple of times for several hours works more efficiently and timely.

IMO, pure soys work best, not blends. For some reason Pure Soy holds and lasts longer. I've tried 6 different soys and blends..paraffins should work well with this, though I have never done a straight paraffin.

As far as how long it lasts...take the average 8 oz candle, burn it. Now, take that time and double or triple it!

Don't tell me otherwise...I've made them and sold them and get at least 70 hours out of them - before they start to fade!

I've had ppl use the same damn candle every day for months. Kills me!

Trust me, you can make and sell these successfully, I promise.

If you have any problems or questions, feel free to pm me anytime, I'll be happy to help guide you.

Good luck to you,

Fern-Marie

Thank you for sharing that info Fern-Marie! I am new at this too and that's very helpful! I have been using the Ball Elite jars, they are very short and they look really nice! I have been able to get them at my local Fred Meyers $3.99 for 4.. I believe Walmart also carries them (not mine of course:wink2: ) But most do..

I would be interested to know what soy you use also.. I have not tried my hand at soy yet. I bought a 1lb sample of Ecosoy CB, have you tried that one?

Thanks...:D

Sharon

Thanks for your post Fern-Marie. Could you tell me what the wattage is on the electric warmer you're using. I have a few Wal-Mart warmers that are only 15 watts. They don't seem to warm the wax enough for a good throw. I would LOVE to get the results that you're getting. What soy wax did you find works best? I have GW464, Snowtops's brand of soy and 416 tart wax. Any help would be greatly appreciated.:confused:

My pleasure.

Tychels, that is exacly the jar I was talking about! Ppl think they're cute too! I was not able to get enough of them to stock all of my scents. Though I think Filmore Glass has them now.

As far as wax: Mill Creek's 100% and Golden Brands 415 (?), are the equivalent of EZ Soy..I found very good for tarts and wickless.

My only problem with it, is that the formula changed recently and I had to wick up on tea light wicks. They need to manufacture these things more consistently.

I don't know what the Pure Soy is from Candle Science, but now that I have compared so many soys and para soy blends, that one is the one that stands out in my mind as my favorite. It really holds the scents very well.

The guy acrossed the street from me moved out and got his own apartment. I made him a wickless as a gift. He had that thing burning non-stop for 4 months! He and his mom told that it still was scenting.

He only had to get rid of it when the jar adhered itself to the warmer from the constant heat!

I know that wickless was Pure Soy from CS.

And for the record: I absolutely do not condone leaving a burner on 24/7....that horrified me!

One more thing with the soy tarts....use soy teas! Paraffin burns too hot and will burn off the FO at a faster rate making the tart not last as long.

TL 25 or TL 28 wicks for teas with EZ Soy, and TL 15 or TL 18 with the Pure Soy from CS.

The Candle Warmers from Michael's are 17 Watts. Though I have used the Wally World ones very successfully.

After the wickless has melted fully, give it a half an hour and check the temp of the melt pool. You should be around 165-175 ish. Again, if the jar is not a short, squatty jar, or a short tureen you may not get good results.

I use glass jars, not tins.

Best Wishes