bayberry problems

Hi everyone. I've been trying to make solid, pure bayberry wax candles, but I haven't gotten the wick right yet. I've made two different types, a 12" molded taper (7/8" base diameter) and an 8" tall 7/8" diameter candle, straight sides and 7/8" thick all the way up, no taper to the sides. With the latter, I've had good luck using 15 ply flat wicking for solid stearin candles, but that wick was way too small. I tried the 3/0 square wicking I use for beeswax candles made from the same mold, and they don't burn good either, too small and soon it drips and most of the candle ends up on the holder.

Okay, so I tried the 12" taper mold instead. 15 ply too small as I expected, 3/0 burned with a small flame but I had to constantly trim that wick, it wasn't burning completely in the flame, or it would smoke and drip if I didn;t keep trimming the wick. I also had a small piece of 1/0 square wick and tried that in the 12" taper mold, it also needs constant trimming. If I wanted to constantly trim candle wicks, I'd just make tallow candles. lol

Anyone have suggestions on wick sizes for bayberry candles? I'd really prefer candles made in the 8" mold I have, so the candles are a full 7/8" thick at top and bottom, so they burn longer. I just can't figure out what to do for wicking. Thanks!:)

IMO, you are not going to have any good luck with pure bayberry tapers unless you make the dipped "pencil" variety (much smaller than the standard 7/8" taper diameter). Even then, they are going to burn phenomenally fast. I too played around with 100% bayberry wax in tapers and votives - it just doesn't make a good candle IMO. Be careful - you may be reading about "100% bayberry tapers" on the web - read on and you'll see its usually a mix - assuming that is even stated.