Help with brown candles

Ok, I am almost ready to give up. Every time I make a brown candle it frosts. I'm not using too much dye, they a cooling properly, etc. None of the other candles I made today of other colors frosted, just brown.

So if someone could give me a suggestion for what color I could use for Hot Cocoa that wouldn't seem too off (such as blue - for me it needs to make some sense) I would very much appreciate it. For whatever reason I cannot get browns to work.

Very frustrated. About ready to throw out all my candles and supplies right out the window.

Let's see I'm using the liquid dyes from BCN, can't remember what they are called and EZ Soy. Most colors I don't have a problem with sometimes greens but brown is the worst! I don't use more than the recommended usage (except for red).

StephD ~ Was the oven on? Or did you just let them sit in there? I pour slushy so I'm not sure the oven thing would work for me since the wax is already pretty cool when pouring.

Brown just hates me! I'm thinking about just doing Hot Cocoa (and other "brown" scents) as white. Retesting would be in order (annoying) but it would eliminate my frustration!

Kelly, I use a different brand of soy and both colorants and fragrances DO affect frosting, soooo....

You MIGHT be using more liquid than is necessary to color. When coloring, I start with a tiny amount of colorant and test the color on the bottom of a soda can by dripping a penny-sized drop and allowing it to cool. If the color is way light, I increase the amount of color gradually, testing after each addition. The final color will always be a little darker because the greater volume of the candle appears a couple of shades darker than the penny-sized test drop. I usually never even approach the max amount of liquid color recommended by the manufacturer...

HTH :grin2:

Ok, good to know I'll give that a try but how do you get less than a full drop? I'd like a consistant drop size so I can keep the colors as similiar as possible from candle to candle. I guess my droppers are pretty big (the ones that came with the dyes).

Same problem here - a drop is not a drop is not a drop...:grin2:

First, make sure you shake the everlivin' daylights out of the color then squeeze out ALL the contents of the dropper and draw a little of the shaken stuff into the dropper. That will give you the most uniform drop size...

Coloring small quantities with consistency is much more difficult than coloring a larger amount because it is hard to divide a drop! I have, however, simply dipped a toothpick tip into the dye to get just the right amount...

We frequently save the test drips with the information on how much wax and how many of what color(s) to get that particular shade...

Guess it depends on how precisely consistant the colors of your candles need to be... When I have to absolutely MATCH colors, I make them from the same batch of colored wax so there will be no variation. With our market, matching a shade exactly is not required very often... There will always be subtle differences from dye batches, particularly in small batches, so we don't really worry too much about our products being THAT standardized, but in other markets, it would be imperative.

Yeah, I don't care that much about exact matching of colors but if I create the perfect shade for my cabernet FO (yum btw), I want to be able to at least come close to that color again.

I guess I'll just invest in some tooth picks and see if that helps, otherwise it's dye free candles for me! ROAR!

Thanks for all your help!

Just saw this thread and wanted to say that I've been using two browns - both really nice - very little frost. "Plain Brown" from KY and "Deep Cocoa Brown" from BCN. Both are flake dye and both are nice browns - not that blackish, coffee brown or that orange-brown.

HTH

Oh thanks, I do like my brown color, I use BCN liquid dyes carmel and black and can get a color that looks just like hot cocoa, but problem is the frosting! I haven't tried the flake dyes but when I run out of liquids I might.

I'm wondering if I should just sell them (the uggos) at a reduced rate even though I know they still burn and smell fine. No one wants an ugly candle, especially if they aren't expecting it.