Grrr ~ Wick Stick Ums!

I used to have problems with wick stickums not staying stuck and coming loose when I'm bending them over the wick centering tool just before pouring. I found it happened when I was wicking a jar straight out of the box. Add to that, I keep my jars in my basement, which is cooler than the upstairs. What I have done to fix that is just give the jars a quick wash and dry, and make sure the jar is somewhat warm when setting the wick. They stick every time! I have had to remove the leftover wick tab with pliers after test burning a candle down to nothing, that's how well they stick for me.

HTH! geek

The only time I've had them come lose is when I've not washed the jar. I always wash and thoroughly dry the jars before I wick them.

I get my wick stickers from www.thecandlemakersstore.com

Tony

I've always used BC's wick stickums up until I switched waxes and they starting coming loose on almost every jar. We were painfully washing the jars also. I read about the GE Silicone II here and picked up some, let me tell you this stuff is amazing! We don't have to wash jars anymore saving a huge amount of prep time. We figured out it works great for sealant on pillar molds also.

Kelly, I find my clear silicone on the store isle (at the hardware store) with the bathroom caulk. Home Depot has the stuff in the paint section. I think the black stuff is for automotive use. GE Silicone II works real well like some else had posted. But remember, once you get it "stuck" it is a real bugger to remove if you want to reuse the jar. Once it is stuck, it is stuck! There may be a trick to removing the tab that I don't know about. It doesn't take that long for the silicone to set up. I put my jars in the oven set as low as it will go for something like 15 minutes or so. I've never had one come loose-knock on wood. BTW I don't wash my jars before applying the silicone. I'm just lazy I guess.

I use the silicone to glue the tabs permanently. Use wick tabs when testing so they can be removed easily. Use to use high temp hot glue but when I changed jars the glue would not hold. These new jars have a curved bottom and when the glue would become warm it would slip to the side. Worked great when the jars were flat. Maybe that's the problem.

Once it is stuck, it is stuck! There may be a trick to removing the tab that I don't know about.

Finger nail polish remover. It is very rare that I have to unstick one, but if I do, I put just enough in the bottom to coat the silicone and then it will turn kind of goopy. Then I use some needle nose pliers and pull them off and scrape out the goop. Of course then wash the remover out. :grin2: