J223 & wicks

I use zinc wicks with my J223. But I get a big mushroom and a lot of smoking if I don't trim it every 10 minutes. I tried wicking down, thought that might help, but it tunneled, it didn't melt all the way across my tin.

If you find one you like, I'd love to know. I have a box of wicks in the attic that I have ordered in the past. I kept them so I'd know what not to order.

I've found, with my testing these did not work:

paper core (60-44-18) (my notes) Burns down the middle, slow burn, not a good melt pool

HTP Coreless cotton wicks sizes: HTP 1212

HTP 126

HTP 1312- smokes VERY bad, black sute

I have about 3 more wicks, I will find them and try to post the notes I wrote on them.

I'd love to hear your test results on some you tried.

Jamie

Jamie: What size mason jar are you using? the 1/2 pt or pint? or quart? They do have different diameters, so that would depend on the size wick you would need to use:) The htp's you mentioned above would likely be too large to use, therefore the smoking issue. I use htp 104 in a 1/2 pt square mason jar with J223 with no smoking and htp 105 in the pint jars. I do like the cd wicks, but havent' tested them yet:)