Hello everyone... read this if you want to meet the newest newbie :)

My name is Alissa. I have been making candles just for the fun of it for the past couple of years. I have never really tried to perfect it and turn it into a business. With a 'bun in the oven', I would like to find something I can do from home that will provide income and quit my thankless job. I have read through many posts, and I am amazed at a lot of the products I have seen so far. Of course, like all newbies, I have some questions too :)

1. Supplier - I have researched many suppliers and tried a couple. Most of the time I am purchasing supplies from www.candlesandsupplies.com. I have not seen this posted anywhere on this site, and have not seen anyone mention using them... I can't be the only person on here that knows about them, so please enlighten me and give me an honest opinion.

2. Melting pot - I am looking into making some presto pots for melting my wax... I am tired of the 'stove' method. How easy are they to turn into a 'melting' pot?

3. I read newbie Howard's post... HI HOWARD :D... and seen how some people measure their fragrance. Please tell me if I am doing this incorrectly, but I was always told 1 oz. per lb. of wax... Being an avid direction follower (even with recipies), I use 1 oz. per lb. of wax. I measure with by using two Tablespoons (cause the internet said 1 oz. = 2 Tablespoons. Should I be using a different method? Can I use MORE scent, lol?

Those are just the basics right now. I have tried gel... didn't really like. I have tried soy... was not happy with end results (and that was probably my fault). I am now trying a new paraffin... so far have been extremely happy with end results. I have had to take my Stampin' Up embosser and fixed some minor flaws on the top after they set, but other than that I am loving the smoothness and creamy look of my new candles... now to wait for the test burn :)

Hope everyone has a fantabulous CHRISTMAS!!!!

Alissa

Hi Alissa!

I'm new too, so I don't have a whole lot of advice, just popped in to say "Welcome"!

Highly recommend the Presto pot--I was tempted to get my husband to put the spigot on it, but I've ended up just measuring out the melted wax into my pour pots (which for now are the 4 cup Pyrex measuring cups;)

There are so many reputable suppliers out there, and alot of expert advise on this site! Research, research, research:) Good luck to you, have fun, and Merry Christmas!!

Welcome Alissa! You don't need to do anything to a Presto to melt your wax. A lot of people add the spigots, but I don't mind scooping out my wax or even picking it up and pouring it into my pour pots. So, there's no need to wait until you're ready to add the spigot. :) I've never tried candles and supplies, but it has been mentioned on here. You might find info the quickest doing a search (near the top).

Congrats on the coming baby!

I am a newbie so I am still not passed the following directions stage :smiley2: The fragrances I got from Peak said use 1/2 - 1 ounce of fragrance per pound. I also have been using the equivalent of 1 ounce, 2 tablespoons or 30 ml of fragrance per pound. Its been working GREAT for me, I dont think I would want to use anymore and I'm not sure that there is a benefit to using more, and Im not sure if the wax can hold more. I say stick to whatever the manufacturer says :smiley2:

1. I don't buy from Candles and Supplies anymore ... from my experience they have poor customer service ... hit or miss with their fo's ... minimal shipping cost is $10. If you do a search typing in C&S, you will get tons of information.

2. I use Presto Pots (love them), you can get them at Walmart for about $20. If my husband can install a pour valve, I think anyone can probably do it. There are instructions right here on CT. Instead of clicking on Message Boards, click on Do-It-Yourself Wax Melters.

3. I use a digital scale to measure my fo's ... again, Walmart for about $20. I usually pour at 8% ... but then again, it depends on the strength of the fo. You can add as much fo as your wax will hold (check with supplier); some waxes can hold up to 10%. Testing is always necessary for best results and safety.

I would suggest finding a supplier near you inorder to save on shipping.

Just welcoming you to the board! C&S is known and has been around awhile. There are people pleased with them as well as those who aren't, but isn't that dang near like anything?

Presto pots ... fun to have. Graduate up to it, IMO. I mean if you find that candlemaking is what you really wanna do and not just a passing hobby/interest.

Measure by weight, on a reliable scale, not by spoonfuls. FOs having varying weights. There are some that are heavy and others that aren't. Each affects the weight.