Rustic Candles?

Hey everyone... I'm trying to make a rustic candle with layers. Deep blue on the bottom a pumpkin pie orange in the middle and a hazelnut brown on the top. I want it to look somewhat transparent not opaque... I'm having a REALLY hard time with the layers not adhering to each other and my colors are coming out pastel and very opaque. Any suggestions as far as temperatures and color mixing would be great. I am just playing with a wax I traded for. The lady i traded didn't remember the brand or anything of the wax so i can't look up the specifics. I have an image in my head of what I want it to look like and I'm not getting any where near my goal. PLEASE HELP.

Thanks in Advance

Andrea

The problem is probably your wax. Is it opaque on the slab to begin with (can you see INTO it)? It may be a blend then and not a straight parafin. 1343 is actually pretty decent in the transparency department - but less so that 1218.

If you get 1343 and add stearic it will get that rustic look on the outside but still be moderatly transparent when you burn it unless you add a ton of dye, but if you have a wax that is already opaque from the start there is nothing you can do to take that away.

As far as the layers not adhearing to each other I would pour the following layers a bit hotter and/or not wait so long for the previous layer to set up. It just takes practice - I'm still doing that myself, but hope this helps.

Hi Andrea, make sure that your previous layer is still a bit soft before you pour your next. If it is looking like you left it a bit too long you can also poke relief holes just before the next pour to improve adherence. Finally, poking relief holes through all layers when doing your final repour will also assist. The longer you leave it between pours the more defined the colours will be, while if you pour the next layer while the previous is still pretty sloshy (technical term there) you'll get a sort of run-on effect - just depends what you're aiming for. Can't help you with translucency issue except to say that stearine increases opacity so is best to be avoided.

Thanks you guys for the replies. The wax is very opaque on the slab so I guess you are right it's the wax. Where can I get one that is some way transparent. Yes they are round pillars. I'll defanitely try not waiting as long I waited quite some time in fear that they would all moosh together. We'll see how it turns out gonna give it another try today.

HUGS and Thanks again

Andrea

Andrea, it's most likely a preblend with vybar added. 3 T of stearic per lb. of wax is what gives the "frost" lines. Rustic actually refers the the textured finish do to the cold pour (150 degrees).

You need to wait until the layer is starting to set up, but if you hold the mold in your hand and move it, the wax underneath will "jiggle" around. You can pour all the layers at 150. The amount of time depends upon how thick the layer is. I would say roughly 20-35 minutes between layers.

About a half hour after the lastlayer has been poured, poke 4 relief holes, nice and deep into the pillar. When you do your final pour, many hours later (or the next day) pour that one hot, at 180. It won't show, it'll be the bottom of the candle.

Look for any plain paraffin with nothing added for the future.

HTH,

e