Supplier Ethics

chris77

So this has been bugging me....I ordered Enchanted Lites Soy Container wax and Votive wax from a supplier and drove to pick it up. He weighed it out and put his own labels on the bags. I love the wax so far, however I found that instead of Enchanted Lites name appearing, it said "Premium Wax Soy Votive" and "Simply Soy Container Wax"

I checked the website and they offer Enchanted Lites and a line called Simply Soy, both at the exact same price points. I called for clarification as to whether I got the right product...He said that Simply Soy and Enchanted Lites were the same wax.

Does this bother anyone else? Is it right for a supplier to sell the exact same wax under 2 different product names? Is it ethical?

Just curious as to how you feel about it.....he's within driving distance so that is nice, it's just not settling well with me right now....

Thanks for you 2 cents!

Chris

My local supplier repackages their wax, also. It only bothered me when I was trying to get very specific information about the wax. When I started buying by the case they just had the cases with the IGI info on them waiting at the warehouse. I couldn't even tell you what wax I had been trying and testing for the longest time.

I don't see anything unethical about it. Agreed, it would be bad if they charged more for one. It's all about a customer perspective of the product...some people will buy it because of the name "simply soy".

I love Sleigh Bells FO. In the summer I call it Candy Kisses. Does it make me unethical to sell the same candle under 2 different names? Perspective - Sleigh Bells would not sell well in the warm months, but people love my Candy Kisses candles.

I don't see anything unethical about it. Agreed, it would be bad if they charged more for one. It's all about a customer perspective of the product...some people will buy it because of the name "simply soy".

I love Sleigh Bells FO. In the summer I call it Candy Kisses. Does it make me unethical to sell the same candle under 2 different names? Perspective - Sleigh Bells would not sell well in the warm months, but people love my Candy Kisses candles.

Here's another twist.....what if you have tried one of the waxes already and did not like it, then you see the this wax "Simply Soy" on their website and you order it......now you've bought the same bad wax twice!

Don't get me wrong, I love the wax, it just comes across maybe as misleading?

Thank you all for your responses!

Think of all the suppliers out there that have their own brand of wax. I'd say most of them buy what everyone else has and give it their own name.

Go to Candlewic and try to find any of the regular waxes you hear about. You won't find them. They re-name all the wax they sell.

If your supplier gets you to use wax ABC and your get it locally, when you go to find it at another company you can't, they now have you backed into a corner. Order from your regular supplier again or re-test everything.

This is business, not misleading. Safeway sells a ton of products under the name Safeway Select. You know, I've seen the exact same products in Wal-Mart marketed under the walmart brand name. Same exact packaging, just a different name. Everyone does it.

Think of all the suppliers out there that have their own brand of wax. I'd say most of them buy what everyone else has and give it their own name.

Go to Candlewic and try to find any of the regular waxes you hear about. You won't find them. They re-name all the wax they sell.

If your supplier gets you to use wax ABC and your get it locally, when you go to find it at another company you can't, they now have you backed into a corner. Order from your regular supplier again or re-test everything.

And this is the reason I refuse to even TRY anyone's wax. I will only use a wax if I know it comes from a main manufacterer, and is labeled as such. Sorry, but I'm not going to go about retesting everything when ABC goes under and I can't get my ABC Pillar Blend anymore. It would be nice if, in regard to wax, suppliers who sold it wouldn't rename it.