Question for soapers!

StephD

Okay, don't harp on me, but I am a diehard body wash user! I was searching through some threads and found out that handmade bar soap is actually more moisturzing. I do use the shower lotion from Oil of Olay that I absolutely love. Problem is, I can't keep my daughter out of it and we go through it too quickly! Anyway, is the handmade bar soap that much better? If so, how hard is it to make?

Thank you! :)

Stephanie

No soap is moisturizing. Neither is any detergent. We say "conditioning" but it really isnt' that either. But hand crafted soaps can be much less drying and irritating than comercial soaps. Depends on the recipe, of course - get one intended for dry skin if that's what you need.

Soap isn't something hard to make necessarily, but to amke it you need to work with serious stuff like lye - so make sure you do a lot of research and get really set up before taking that step. I suggest you try some hadn-crafted soaps before you begin...

I don't know enough to comment like CareBear, however I have had several customers tell me that they can tell the difference between using mine and using commercial brands.

Perhaps it is simply less harsh than other brands?

I *thought* that handmade soap was moisturizing. But that's why I'm here! Learning!

Well, I didn't know, so I asked. I will buy some to try. So here's the next question, who has the best? lol I know, that's gonna stir some problems, so how bout just letting me know who has what available, websites for example. Maybe I'll buy some after Christmas and test it out. I really wish I would have went to our Farmer's Market. They probably had some there. Problem is, after having been on this forum and researching everything, I'm scared to buy from anybody unless they are on here and I know they test everything! lol Anyway, thanks for the help and I will be looking to buy some in the next couple of weeks.

Stephanie

Stephanie,

The answer is easy if you are comparing commercial bar soap with handcrafted one. Handcrafted soap contains glycerin plus depending on oils/butters used it may carry out the properties of those oils. Commercial soaps have glycerin removed, they make more money by selling it separately. Properly made soap washes the dirt off and then leaves on your skin a thin layer of oil that protects it from drying out. commercial soap will strip all the oils out and you get the tightening sensation. and of course drying.

now, if we compare the bodywash you use with handcrafted soap it will be like comparing nylon and cotton. first one it totally synthetic, and second one is natural. body washes have low PH, they don't sting your eyes, and all that good stuff. but the problem with those is that contain many, many chemicals. And think about what whose chemicals will do to you in a long run. We already consume tons of bad stuff in everyday life. and i'm sure you use lotions and creams that have preservative in it, and there is no way to go without them in that type of product... But when it comes to what you wash yourself with, you have this choice -- natural soap that will be kind to your skin, or loaded with chemicals body wash.

I hope that answers your original question :smiley2: .

Now, it may take you couple tries to figure out who has the best soap, and here is a topic with couple website links http://www.candletech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=39392

I posted there too :D . If you have sensitive skin I would recommend to look for goat's milk based soap (or any other milks), because they will be closer in PH to your body wash. Also, look at the list of ingredients and make sure that coconut oil is closer to the end of the list, or not there at all. It can be irritating if used in the recipe at more then 20-25%.

Almost forgot... the best thing about handcrafted soap is that it could be totally customized for your skin type.

Good luck! :grin2:

~Nat~

www.kramersoaps.com