UV Inhibitor

I have just recently started adding UV Inhibitor to my candles. I don't know if it is the UV inhibitor or if I am collecting debris at the bottom of my wax melter, but my last batch has little floaties and the wax does not seem as clear when I poured them.. My flames seemed to struggle a bit as well. I noticed on my easiest to wick fragrance, a slight collection of "yuck" around my wick. All candles poured prior to adding the UV inhibitor burned perfectly. I am using the UVI from BCN. They confirmed that adding this would not effect my burn. I am adding the powder along with my wax prior to melting. I am using the smallest recommened amount. Any suggestions, or am I just holliday candle pouring crazy? I appreciate any input on your experience with this additive.. I am growing and need to make sure that my colors have staying power.. Thanks for the help!

I agree, you should not add inhibitor to the melt pot. Add it when you add the FO to the pour pot. But how much is the recommended amount you're using? I use an inhibitor, but never have seen anything floating in the wax, nor has it changed the color of the wax.

Fredron

UV inhibitor, unless it has debris in it, should melt completely and not leave

"floaties." I find that parafin wax does have dirt in it, so need to filter it before pouring a candle. We need to clean our melter periodically - might check the bottom of your melter to see if there's a build up.

I mix the UV, dye, fragrance and any other additives I'm using directly into the wax in the Presto pot, and have done so for more than 10 years without any problems.

I think it's the color stabilizer you're using. BCN also has another product that's a 2-part UV inhibitor.

The stabilizer has some kind of debris in it. More like sinkies than floaties. The bits seem to have moisture in them so maybe it's a dessicant to help prevent the powder from clumping when it's humid. According to Doneen the debris doesn't exist, but when I asked about it someone else responded with a description of the same thing. It's probably better to add this one in the pour pot, so the debris stays behind.

It can also tinge the color of the wax a bit, depending on how much you use.

Top.. it sounds like you know what I am desribing.. yes.. it looks like I need to drain the big melter,but.. what I am seeing in my candles is little wierd floaties that are translucent... almost looks like orange pulp floating around? Maybe I need to try a different UV inhibitor.. Thanks for the help!

BTW I meant to say it might be a good idea to add it to the melter so the insoluble debris stays behind.

As for the pulp floaties, I do see something kinda like that after the candle sets up from a burn. It's a pattern of elongated crystalline filmy things on the surface. If I pop in a new wick and heat gun the top, they don't melt easily and kind of scoot around on the surface.

I always wondered what that stuff was, but it never occurred to me it might have something to do with the stabilizer. After Christmas I'll try making a candle without it and see if they go away.

Okay Top..just for clairfication, you think I should continue adding it to the melter? Funny thing is, I added the bare minimum amount to my wax. There is a definite difference in my burn. Your description fits my situation to a tee! "Filmy crystalline" BCN assured me that there is nothing in the UVI that would affect my burn.. I am going to have to pour the same candle, one with and one without as well.. I can't be selling these to stores and have them burn poorly. Thanks for helping on this one. I used an oil that for some reason NEVER gives me problems.. I could add too much vybar and a candle with that oil would still burn well. This was such a surprise to see the "sinkers" or "floaties" in my burning candles.. The wick looked crappy with a collection of yuck around it.. kind of like a candle that sat with a lot of dust in it and they you tried to burn it.. it gets all clogged up.. I have seen debris in candle before, but this does not look like anything I have seen before. Please keep me posted on your findings.. I really need to add something to keep my color.. so now I need to keep looking.Thanks for the help... you always seem to come through!Teri

I think it could be helpful to keep adding it to the melter. Apart from the other issues you mentioned, I'm seeing a small amount of insoluble debris when adding the stabilizer to the wax. That stuff shouldn't find its way into the candles.

I'm glad you brought up these concerns with the product. I had decided it wasn't a variable I needed to worry about, so I've never even done a comparison with and without. Just goes to show you can't get away with anything in this business.

I'm now anxious to find out if there's any difference in the look and burn if I leave it out. Will let you know.

I have used the same UV stabilizer from BCN, but have not seen any floaties in my wax at all. I add it when the wax is almost completely melted, then add my dye, and when the wax cools down, add fo to it. Have not seen any floaties whatsoever when I poured it or even after the jars cooled.

Just keep trying; maybe you will come up with a solution to your problem. Good luck!